Feeding upside down catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elmonty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read that upside down catfish will swim to the surface for feeding, but mine seem to stay on the bottom during suppertime. I usually feed flakes to all the fish, and once or twice a week they all get freeze-dried bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp. The other fish seem to eat all the food at the surface and leave none for the catfish.

Do I need to get pellets that sink to the bottom to make sure my cats get some food?

If no food is getting to the bottom of the tank, you need to feed the catfish. Mine rarely go higher than about 3 inches from the bottom of the tank.

I feed mine sinking catfish wafers. I also soak part of my flake in tank water so it sinks, as my rams like to eat from the bottom as well.

I have an upside down catfish in my 90 gallon tank that is over NINE years old. I hardly ever see him eat. they'll fend for themself one way or another, must be the best scavenger out there. Mine also hides all day, in a cave or dense plants, only see him if i get up at 3am and turn the room lights on. Don't overfeed on their account, they'll find something. maybe a couple sinking pellets right before lights-out, but not much! more danger of fouling water than starving those guys to death.

Back
Top Bottom