Feeling helpless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am completely heart broken. I am this thread in this area because it is beyond "help me" it is more of just telling my story. If someone does have a suggestion by all means let me know.

Sorry so long but it has been a LONG week!

My 55gl has been running since Oct 2006 with out a problem. Water has been stable, I have been on a wonderful schedule and have had such healthy fish. Until this last week. I will tell it how it was.....

Friday May 4th
- It all started last Friday I saw a Clown Loach flashing. I saw a few specks on 1 bleeding heart tetra and that is it. Hmm start of ich, raise temp add salt. I add 1 tbsp per 10 gallons...

Saturday May 5th
- come home from work raise the temp a little more. 2 bleeding heart tetra are looking awful.

Sunday May 6th - can't get my temp over 85F, at least it is up there. Bleeding hearts are looking very sick, two serpae are looking ill, clown loaches are looking more sick.

Monday May 7th
- I am confused at this point. I am not seeing results but keep plugging away. I do a big water change and vac the gravel. I add a ratio of 1tbsp of salt to per 5gls of what water I changed out.

I am even more confused how selective this is all is. Some fish are awful, some are so so and some are fine.

Tuesday May 8th
- Fish still looking worse, a spotted pictus comes out and is "stressing" they always hide and dont come out. I see bumps on it's stomach. I check my fourlines by forcing them to come out. I move their hiding spots. They look good. Add a second heater and get the head to 88F

Clown Loaches are awful looking too.

I break down and buy some Ich Guard II at this point. The heat/salt is NOT working. I felt I had to step it up after seeing how bad the spotted pictus were. I toss my apple snail into with the betta in the 10gl, I had to get him out. Cross my fingers he doesnt get my betta sick!

Late that night I got these images. *disturbing*

2 spotted pictus - can see on the top one the skin having serious problems. the second one you can see some ich on the gill area.

img_803549_0_0e9ceff82a1db2ac8e2b6d89138737be.jpg

You can see how massive the ich is on this spotted pictus. This made me sick to my stomach. I was so upset. I thought about putting them out of their misery, they were still active, stressing but not acting like near death. I thought we still had a chance.

img_803549_1_e216e2c4cf4e5475ddae07c819cd6cc2.jpg

Pranzer my fourline pictus comes out. I get a good look at him. His stomach is clear, his skin is clear, his gills are clear. He looks really good and acting normal. This is a picture of him. Later my other fourline pictus Tankboss comes out and she looks just as good as Pranzer. These two are my "babies" I love all my fish, but these are my babies. I am feeling good at least they are doing so good.

img_803549_2_e03ab64b4a8651f7674a0110a1850da5.jpg

Wed May 9th - I wake up to 4 dead spotted pictus - actually 3 are dead the 4th the smallest one I have is laying on the bottom looking me. swims just fine. Freaks out and dies as I watch. I am so heart broken at this point and feel so helpless!!!! test my water right away and get .5 ammonia. A little less. Do a pwc and a good gravel vac to clean it up and drop the ammonia. Add more ich guard II.

Before I go to work I lose a bleeding heart tetra, a serpae tetra. This is an update on a site I posted

Tetra are dealing fine. Except the sick ones.
Four Line Pictus at this time both seem to be doing very well.
Clown Loaches - All of them are out today, they are stressed. Full of ich but not as bad as my spotted pictus were hit for sure. They are still active. 1 Clown Loach though is worse then all the others and starting to have stringy stuff come off him.

Pleco shows no signs of problems

I stop in to my LFS were I always buy from. He said to watch my water close and make sure they ammonia etc doesnt get high and make them more sick. He doesnt agree with my water temp. agrees that I keep the tank clean, no feeding and keep up with the ich guard II.

I add fungus tabs. What do I have to lose..... more fish? gonna die anyways at this rate. I do less then half due to the scaleless fish and them being so sick.

Thursday May 10th - I come home to 2 dead clown loaches, a few tetra... ammonia is back to .5 the fish were dead in there for sometime because I am gone over 15hrs working. Do a PWC smaller one and knocking it down. I feel the last thing they need is bad water. Add the ich guard II again. No salt. I take out the sickest ones and toss them in a bucket with fresh water, meds and figure I rather they die and rot in there then in my 55g while I am gone for so long.

Wake up before work, another dead tetra, another clown loach.

On the way to work I call the LFS and talk to the fish guy again. He is shocked when I tell him my death count at this point. He says there has to be something else that brought on the ich and the underlying problem is probably to blame. I tell him I am thinking bacterial or something because the fishes fins are looking rough.

At this point I am losing fish that show no signs of ich and look okay. Tetra like the serpae. Their bright orange the ich sticks out. After death I look close at them and see no spots at all. Could be there I know but it was strange. I checked the gills well knowing that ich on the gills is fatal.

I ask him about putting my 2 fourlines in the 10gl tank. I could take my betta out toss him into a 5gl bucket and add the fourlines in the tank. I just worry at 5-6" their size in there. The bioload is use to some snails and a betta not two larger fish. They are still healthy and I am worried sick about them. He says go for it and said they should be fine as it is not long term and as he said "they wont be happy going in there but they will enjoy the better water" and I agreed. I knew they would be mad at me for it.

I designed the 10gl with just a betta to be used as a hospital tank. I can take the betta out easy enough. I have a lot of small fish. I never thought I would have my large fourlines BOTH in there or need to house a pleco at the SAME time. One at a time it would work. Lesson learned.

I plan to go home after work and attempt to catch pranzer and tankboss the fourlines. I have no place to stick the pleco.

The plan is for me to go in the next evening and talk to the fish guy and get a stronger medication.

Go to work

Today - Two dead clown loaches, all fish I pulled out dead.. a dead serpae in the 55gl too. I have at this point lost all clown loaches none are left out of 5.

My tank stinks of fish death. It was awful. At this point I figure I have nothing left really to lose but my last 3 fish that mean a lot to me. My fourlines and my pleco. I adore the tetra but I am more worried about the other 3.

I take out all hiding spots from the tank and most of the fake plants. I plan to just leave them out to dry out and also make it easier for me to catch the fourlines.

I get a good look at the pleco and he actually looks better. He is very active, freaking out I took the hiding places but his color is back to normal. He doesnt have light brown swirls anymore and is all back to dark brown.

His top fin does have some "rot" going on.

I get 75% of the water out, all decorations and hiding spots out except for a few fake plants I left in there for "comfort" for my pleco and tetra that are left.

Take the betta out and stick him in a 5gl bucket with some of his plants to comfort him. He is sulking but he ate in the bucket so that was good.

I finally catch the fourlines and get them to the 10gl. I avoid adding the bad water from my 55gl to the 10gl. The fourlines are "barking" LOL that made me giggle. I mean I felt bad they were that stressed but man it vibrated my hands while I had them in a small bucket. It was so LOUD. I get them in the 10gl and they are still barking and just lay there still, cuddled together. Tankboss is laying over Pranzer. I feel so bad for them.

I put ONE small log back in the 55gl for the pleco, he needs it. I fill the tank back up, no salt, left the temp and added just ich guard II.

No fish looking ill in there right now. I gave them some food. They have not ate since this last weekend. I give them just a little. I give the pleco half a algae waffer.

My fourlines have not ate for several days too. I added in two pellets for them, not sure if they ate them. If they didnt I will remove them and will not feed them much while in there. Want to avoid a huge load on that 10gl with them in there.

As of right now the fourlines in the 10gl are swimming here and there and seem less stressed, they are sticking together and I feel bad they have no hiding place really. There are some floating plants in the water at least. I may cover the tank with a towel for them. The light is off and I wont turn it on today. They HATE being out in the tank with the light on. I felt it would comfort them more with no light not having a hiding spot. I cant really put anything in there for them, dont have anything not even a glass that isnt clear. May go get some pvc pipe later. Do I have to do anything to it to make it fish safe?

I got a really good look at them putting them in the 10gl and watching them with out them hiding. No signs of anything on them. Skin looks great, gills appear clear, breathing went back to normal after they settled down from the move. Fins look good, except one tiny spot on pranzer.

So yeah I have lost so much fish in the last few days it is hard. I am thankful for what I have left.

This evening I will go get the pvc pipe for the fourlines in the 10gl.
Another medication for the 55gl, not sure yet, see what the fish guy suggests. I know I am going to have to treat the fourlines in the 10gl too. That one spot on Pranzer I cant ignore.

I am so sorry for your losses, I think you are giving it a good try from the souds of it. I really don't have any advice, just a word of support. I hope some af the experts on here can help you.

GOOD LUCK Tess

Sorry about your losses, courtnee.

I'm not too familiar with the various ich medications as I never use any of them. Do you think the meds may be affecting the bio filter on your tank, throwing it into a mini-cycle and further stressing the sick fish? Plus, I'm sure the casualties don't help your perams at all either.

I'm not sure on the ich meds, but I know that antibiotics such as Maracyn/Maracyn 2 DO affect the bio filter, even though the packaging claims otherwise.

Remember to leave the temp raised to 88 for 2 full weeks after all the spots are gone, even if the fish look healthy.

Yeah I tried to avoid meds at all costs and the ich guard was a last resort because things had advanced so bad. I dont think the meds had so much of an impact on my filters etc compared to the dead fish in the tank.

I work 12hr shifts and when I work I gone about 15hrs and the dead fish would lay there for sometime before I could get to them. That didnt help at all.

I have this entire weekend off, so that will be good. I will be around. I have had no deaths today, just what I found this morning when I got home from work. The fourlines are still sulking in the 10gl, I feel for them. The betta is still not happy in his 5gl bucket but we are making due.

The guy at the LFS said no more meds, he thinks I am going uphill from here and wants to wait a few days before trying a medication beyond the ich guard. Let things settle down with the moves etc. I will have to watch their fins close and if they dont clear up get another medication.

I agree. What is left needs a break from the chaos. It has been an awful week! They need a break.

I have one more serpae that is struggling but hanging in there. No one else looks "sick" but I know that can change. See what tomorrow brings and if we need to go further.

Ich speeds up it's life cycle at 85, I think a second heater may have helped. The temp needed to be over 86, I go for 87-88. Add aeration to the tank or lower the water level a bit as well will work. The medications most likely destroyed your beneficial bacteria. Clown loaches and pictus cats do not tolerate salt or meds well at all.

I am so sorry for your losses, it is a tragedy. I would stop with the meds myself and keep up with water changes. If any spots come back, get another heater and get the temps up to 87. Too many medications also stress fish and make them vunerable. Add some active carbon to your filters to remove the remaining meds. Adding some cover back into your tanks will make your fish feel more secure. I hope things turn around for you. Good luck.

I had it to 88F and my water level dropped about 5 inches to allow the two HOB to fall into the top of the water for more aeration, as well as the entire back of the tank is two long bubble curtains so I had plenty of air in the water. The fish never showed signs of "stress" in my eyes from the temp. They were pretty good with it. They didnt stay to the top of the tank or gasp for air.

I agree the clown loaches and spotted pictus with the salt and meds were not a good mix, but the ich was so far gone I felt helpless.

My tank is still at 88F I am not dropping that anytime soon. The pleco is hiding in his log. The tetra are making use of the fake plants I left in there. It is not bare but it is nothing like it use to be. I am more able to see the dead fish this way. No salt in there right now either.

I do have 1 white skirt with some spots on her fin, I did use the ich guard II again today as it has in my eyes helped with what has survived. The only fish left in the tank that I really have to worry about with the meds is the pleco. He is doing good right now.

I did NOT wake up to a dead fish today though YAY!!!!

I may put the carbon back in tomorrow if there are no more fish deaths. Keep my temp up still.

My fourlines in the 10gl are fairing. They are only at 80F as I have a heater that doesnt allow me to adjust the temp it just sits at 80F. They look good though even though they HATE the 10gl tank. I cant turn the light on in there or they freak out. It is to small. I did check the ammonia today and it is still zero so that was good. I worry about that since the 10gl is use to a betta not two fish 5-6" LOL I am going to try and feed them today. If they dont eat it in 15 mins I will use a turkey baster and get it out right away. They have not ate in a week. I gotta try and give them something, just a little. I plan to feed them every other day just 1 sinking pellet until i get them out of the 10gl.

My 55gl I did feed the tetra last night as they had not had food since last weekend. They almost jumped out of the water to eat. I didnt give them to much just a little and it was gone right away. NO food today. I will feed them a little bit tomorrow until things starts to stable out.

My 55gl tank today also has no ammonia and had good readings all around. It has a small bioload right now too though and no fish deaths to help bump it. It only has 1 pleco and 12 tetra in there right now.

Hello Courtnee, I am sorry for your looses. I know what you are going through, really. Last August I lost 56 fish in my 300 gallon tank including 5 6"-8" Clown Loaches I had for years, 9 Kabotia Botias, all my Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams & Apistos, 7 Sae's plus numerous Tetras. The only difference is I know why they died and it was a mistake I made. I still tear up thinking about it. For you this seems very mysterious. I don't have any advice at this point but for future reference I would use Coppersafe on Ich. I used it once many years ago on my Clown Loaches with great success and at full strength. Fortunately I never had to use it again. Hang in there, you seem to be an excellent fish keeper and it will be hard but you will bounce back from this. I learned a lot in my catastrophe and I'm sure you will too.

Thanks Michael. I did learn a lot. Just tonight I did a small PWC and added more ich med. I had 1 serpae still sick but it is looking better. The ich med and the heat seems to have halted whatever was going on.

I put my decorations in and it felt good to see my tank look pretty again. It was hard putting back in the caves my pictus cats lived in :( I teared up. I miss the clown loaches doing their loach kind of things.

I have read CopperSafe is a great thing to use... I almost went that way too just as things turned around. However, I keep snails so it is not a good option for me. :(

wow, a heartbreaking thread, I can only imagine how you feel. I am glad things are stabilizing, and you were able to save atleast some fish. We are just getting our tank back up and running from a mishap, and fish loss, but nothing like yours. It's the small miracles that mean the most, atleast things are slowly returning to normal...

Back
Top Bottom