Female angel (balloon) ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffmik_2008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had her for about a month now and she is acting kinda odd. I got her with a male, which he acts completely normal. When I say odd I mean she just kinda hangs out at the bottom away from everyone else. She looks fine, just not very active. Thoughts?

Picture doesn't appear to be attached, but as a general rule the balloon/angel rams are typically overbred, short lived, and very prone to disease. Even a healthy regular ram is hard to find since the species as a whole has been overbred and hormone juiced by less-than-ethical breeders. The only breeder that I've consistently heard good things about their stock is Yunite/SDRams... Everywhere else seems pretty hit or miss, with the more line-bred varieties such as long fin or angel/balloon having the highest premature death rates :(

I do not know why I can't get a picture to upload, but that is sad to hear. Ever since I stumbled upon the ram cichlid family I have fallen in love with them. I found a deal at a local pet store for these angel rams and I guess it was for obvious reasons....

I got the picture to upload. Hopefully it is big enough.

Sounds and looks similar to the behavior my rams had before they died... No outward disease or sign of injury, just started looking lethargic, less colorful, and hovering around the bottom. It really is a shame that they're so prone to this, they are a gorgeous and very personable species when healthy.

Back
Top Bottom