Female Betta and Male Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
This may be a stupid question, but I can't find a straight answer online.

Could I successfully keep a female Betta in my twenty nine gallon community with six male guppies? I have experience and a lot of knowledge with male bettas, but almost no knowledge of things specific to female bettas. I know that males can't be kept with guppies, but I do know that females are much less aggressive than males.

Any help would be awesome. It wouldn't be until a couple weeks from now that I would get the Betta even. If you want more info on my tank, look up the thread,"My New Tank". Thanks in advance.

I've had this work and not work. I have no experience mixing males in communities, although I hear they even work with guppies sometimes. I have put females in many different settings though and have found you simply never know what you can expect. I've had them seem ferocious and aggresive in their cup and then once released into the tank be cool as a cucumber. I've also had them seem totally relaxed and then get into the tank and go crazy. I've had females that did great with any livebearer and females that couldn't handle any livebearer. I think that just like with the males, the only way to try a betta in any community setting is to have a back up plan. Whether it's an alternate tank or return to the store.

I have 6 female bettas in with 3 male guppies. Never once had an issue, my guppies were in first so I think that may have helped some.

Oh and I've heard that CT females are far more spunky, so you may want to avoid them to be cautious. I have one and she jumps out of the water to nab my finger, but leaves the guppies alone. But again, I have been warned they are feistier.

Okay. So, you think it'd be safe to try, with a backup plan? Cause I don't really have a centerpiece fish.

I don't think you'd have any issues, just because the males are in there already and have their territory staked. I would make it the last added fish, so that all new ones aren't a threat. But mine are in with the fancy males, and long finned tetras with no fin nips.

I've heard that about the CT's too but in my betta sorority only two out of six are VT's and one of them is the alpha and, the most recent female I had to remove from 2 different communities I tried her in was VT as well so, I think it really just comes down to luck :) I'm not sure what other tankmates are in there but she is just as likely to have issues with mollies as she is guppies, if not more so.

I had a male betta with guppies for 9 months without incident... and then one day, 4 dead guppies. Had to remove him. The guppies are generally faster over long hauls. He probably figured out how to "trap" them.

Yeah some people seem to make it work but I wouldn't try it. That's a good point though. I think it is important to know though that in any scenario a betta can turn at any time. I've heard of it happening in sororities and with both females and males in communities.

i found that out the hard way. i put my male betta in a 15g tank with 2 small clown loaches,3 guppies, 2 zebra danios, and a black widow tetra and then the next morning i had no guppies left!:(

yikes..well it helps with danios and tetras to have atleast 6 or 7 of them.

I have a male betta in my 10 gallon community, and he works out just fine. He flares at the tetras some... But they just look at him funny and swim away.

Male Betta with guppies can work, it all depends on how docile your Betta is and the size of your tank.

I have a 55g tank which I had about 20 guppies at least half male and a Betta (who has since succumbed to dropsy) and he never had trouble from anyone, and never distributed trouble in any notable fashion. He would flare up at the Silver Dollars if they came to be in the same area, but he never had a go at them.

He was a big softie really, in a big tank (with soft water, lol)

I've decided I'm going to try a female Betta. I've always wanted one, because they seem even more neglected than the males at Walmart, which is where mom makes me get my bettas, so I want to give on a good home.

Did you guys look at my stocking in the other thread where I posted it? I checked in that thread and got it okayed there too.

I think it's not an ideal stock list for a betta but it may work. Personally I wouldn't do the danios if you end up with a 20 high..that's the advice I've been given here and chose to take. I think the guppies with their flowing fins and the super active danios and possibly in a 20 gal tank is a bit much for a betta. But female bettas are seriously awesome and many are chill enough to be able to handle it. I have some absolutely gorgeous females..they are so much more attractive these days. I'm anxious to hear how it goes. Good luck :)

No, I have a twenty nine gallon. The twenty ended up being a ten. So we bought a twenty nine gallon. I'm gonna try a female Betta, and I have somewhere else for her if it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom