Female betta appearance question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wasn't sure if I should put this in the sick fish section, because I really don't know that she is sick, just something I noticed on her this morning that I wanted to ask about.
She is in a 2.5g tank. There are two small java moss balls in her tank, one small sword, one artificial plant, one cave-like structure that she likes to sleep/hide in, and a sponge filter. This morning I noticed that she looks kinda "dirty". In the picture, if you can see, it is behind her tummy. I don't know how else to eplain it. I know you probably won't be able to see what I am talking about in the picture, but she has always been this pretty white/pink color, but this morning I noticed that behind some of her scales she looks dirty, like she needs a bath. Is this normal and if so what is causing it? She acts absolutely fine. Her water parameters are
nitrItes 0
ammonia 0
nitrAtes barely a 5.
Like I said, this may be something that has occured over time and I just haven't noticed it until now.

So should I treat her for them....I hate to treat with medicine unless I really have to...what are my options here?

Bettas are notorious for changing colors both completely and subtlely. Could just be a minor color change. As long as she's acting healthy I wouldn't suspect disease. Especially if she isn't showing stress stripes.

No...no stress stripes...what color would they be on a white/pinkish fish? Now, I must say that my blue female betta always has those stripes going on. At first I thought it was because she was positioned where she could see my male betta, but they aren't even in the same room anymore. She is right next to the white one now. Her water conditions are fine also. But, she always has the horizontal lines, but acts just fine.

Back
Top Bottom