Female Betta in a Regular Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a female betta fish in a small tank. I had always keep her seperate tank becuse i have always heard the same thing about bettas. And that is to never keep them in the same tank. That they will tear each other to pieces and kill each other. But now i have been looking into it and i found an artical that said that you can put female bettas in the same tank with other fish and with other female bettas. So i put my female betta in my tank with my 6 tetras, 3 white clouds, and 1 cory cat. So far so good and the fish are not fighting with each other or any thing. But do you think that if i add platys (when i get the bigger tank set up) they will fight?

I've always kept bettas in larger community tanks. As long as the other fish don't have long flowing fins (like another betta) then the betta will live peacefully with the others and enjoy the swimming room. Females sometimes do fight each other, but from what I've observed, not as aggressively as the males. The platys should be fine with the betta. Bettas tend to be more energetic when housed in a larger aquarium, they swim around and enjoy life more. (well, at least that's what I think! lol)

The basic rule with bettas is don't put them together. Especially males. Females can sometimes be kept with other females (as in a community tank setting) but there's always the risk that one of them might have a bad day and you wake up with half your tank dead. As far as keeping them with other breeds of fish goes, the risk is even greater. You might get away with it for a while but don't be surprised if the worst happens. It's just the way they are.

I have heard of a lot of people keeping their female bettas in their community tanks, as well as males. I think it just depends on the females and males attitudes. I would put 2 of my males in with other fish, and 2 I wouldn't.

I have heard of a lot of people keeping their female bettas in their community tanks, as well as males. I think it just depends on the females and males attitudes. I would put 2 of my males in with other fish, and 2 I wouldn't.

+1.

We have a female blue betta in a divided 5.5 with a matching male on the other side and we both think she would whoop his tailfins. She's killed neons, corys, otos and mystery snails. Our other 3 females are iffy, they can be pretty mean when they want to spawn. Otherwise, they are kittens. We keep them in a 3 section divided 20L.

Back
Top Bottom