Female betta sleeping near filter intake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayouFishGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, after lurking for a long time, I'm finally posting. Hooray!

Here's the problem: This morning (around 6 am) when I turned my tank's light on, I noticed that my female betta had been sleeping pressed against the filter intake. Her tankmate, a molly was sleeping like a normal fish, near the bottom of the tank. The tank has only had fish in it for two days (did a fishless cycle for 4 weeks before putting them in).

She looked ok, with faint stress lines, but that could be because I woke them up from straight darkness. When awake, she zips all over the tank, stopping to inspect things as she makes her rounds. This makes me think that the filter speed is fine. Is this ok? Or should I try to slow my filter down? I just don't want to hurt her pretty fins while she sleeps...

The tank is a 5 gallon Fluval Spec (has overflow style filtration) 83 gallons per hour according to the info I found on it.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 585
  • intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 131
  • wholetank.jpg
    wholetank.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 108
83 gph is a lot.
Betta's really need very weak current. If you can, look to adjust until the flow is weak, so you won't be bothering her.
When she fly's around the tank, it's because she got scared.

Thanks, I'll try to see what I can do to adjust the flow.

-----Update----
Ok, so I pulled the pump out and saw that it was set in the middle, so it probably wasn't putting out the 83 gph that it's capable of, even though the flow was still way too strong. I turned it to the lowest setting and put a small piece of filter foam in the nozzle. Seems to be working :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom