female bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shanna.mcbane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank with 4 angelfish. I have seen online several opinions on if you can put 2 female bettas in the same aquarium but I want to know what yall think. Can I put 2 female bettas in my 30 gallon with my 4 angelfish?:fish1:

I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank with 4 angelfish. I have seen online several opinions on if you can put 2 female bettas in the same aquarium but I want to know what yall think. Can I put 2 female bettas in my 30 gallon with my 4 angelfish?:fish1:

Today's female bettas are as much of a crap shoot as males are. Sometimes they all get along and sometimes they beat the crap out of each other.:eek: In theory, in a well decorated tank, multiple female Bettas should be able to get along but there are no guarantees.:nono: If you are not willing to lose one or have one beaten up then I would suggest you only get 1 and stay with 1. These are called "Fighting Fish" for a reason. Yes, many males today are not as aggressive as in years past but you are never guaranteed that they will live happily together just as the females now also are this way. (In fact, today's females seem to be even more aggressive than in years past.:facepalm:) The best way to get a group of females ( or males) to live together is to get sisters or brothers that have never been separated and don't mix in the other gender. The presence of the opposite sex is what gets them into fighting mode.

Hope this helps. (y)

I've had betta sororities in a 20 gallon and a 55 gallon. As already stated, every betta is different! Some are very laid back and don't bother anyone, and some are little terrors. I've had everything in between too. The bigger the tank, the more chance you'll have of your bettas co-existing peacefully. I had better luck in my 55 than my 20, obviously. More places to get away or hide. It's a crap shoot. I had to take a couple back to the store that were little hellions. But most of them did get along pretty well in the 55.

In a 30 gallon, you probably won't have very good luck, to be honest, unless you get super laid back ones. 4 angels in a 30, by the way, is way too much! For 4 angelfish, I would have them in nothing smaller than a 55. Sell your 30, get a 55, and then I guarantee you'll do a lot better with angels and bettas.

Back
Top Bottom