Fermented Barley Straw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, as most planted tank owners experience, I got hair algae in the tank and have had a heck of a time with it (still looking for SAEs by the way) and I was doing some research and came across Fermented Barley Straw. Well, I decided to give it a try and put it in my filter just before the outlet (took a bit of calling around to find a pet store that carried it - Scott's Petshop in Westchester). I have had it in there for a week or so and have noticed how much it has slowed growth. I was told it would take a while to prevent the growth, but it is working. My other plants are growing even better now with less competition for nutrients. I will give an update when I have had a longer test period.

Well, as most planted tank owners experience, I got hair algae in the tank and have had a heck of a time with it (still looking for SAEs by the way)

Just an FYI, my SAE's wouldn't touch the hair/string algae. I've used barley straw in the pond, but not in the tank. Works pretty good in the pond, but hard to tell when it's time to replace it. I purchased some barley straw extract from FishVet.com for the tank. Not sure if it's that, or if I acheived the nutrient balance I was looking for, but no problems with algae for 2 months or so. (He said while holding his breath and crossing his fingers)

And the unofficial Aquarium Advise Spelling Police

I assume you misspelled Advice inentionally? :D :D :D

My SAE's cleared up hair algae in our tank in less than a week,
I'm not familiar with barley straw at all not sure what to say about it.
Another thing you could try is Ottos they stay pretty small and will not suck on other fish.
Good luck.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom