Fertilizer tabs dissolved a little in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I added plant concept fertilizer tabs that have no copper! The tab dissolved a little in the water when I put it in, Will this hurt fish?? Do plant tabs make nitrates rise or will plants consume it before it’s a problem?

Worth testing if you have a kit for both ammonia and nitrates. I’ve had an ammonia spike from tabs leaching into the water column. Not particularly significant but noticeable (0.5ppm ammonia from memory).

Tabs will quickly release into the water column, dry fertilizers are extremely soluble and are not meant for slow release, especially in submerged environment.

This is why root tabs are not required for any plants we grow in our aquariums.

It says they’re slow release. Will this raise nitrates? I have jungle Val and it does need some fertilizer I’ve heard. My crypts would benefit also, what would you recommend? Do I need to take them out and do a huge water change? They have great reviews and said it’s harmless to fish?

It says they’re slow release. Will this raise nitrates? I have jungle Val and it does need some fertilizer I’ve heard. My crypts would benefit also, what would you recommend? Do I need to take them out and do a huge water change? They have great reviews and said it’s harmless to fish?

They are harmless to fish yes.

They should not raise nitrates.

They are mostly made up of inert material, with hardly any macro nutrients that plants need in larger quantities.

They have some micro nutrients.

They are a decent option for super slow growing plants, in a moderate to moderately heavy stocked tank.

I would suggest Thrive liquid fertilizer.

You do not need to do a big water change using these tabs.

I don’t use liquid fertilizer because I do have slow growing low light plants and I have snails so I can’t use copper. I have java fern, Anubis, crypts. The jungle Val is all I’m trying to fertilize. I was worried because the tabs contain nitrates and a lot dissolved. In the water column. Didn’t know these can raise ammonia

Use Thrive S liquid, shrimp & snail safe, just squirt in the correct *dose* when you do a water change, I do o6t directly into my filters outflow. Easy peasy

Ok thanks , I actually returned the tabs because my piggy mystery snail had dug himself far enough into the sand to eat my fertilizer tab! I hope he will be ok, and I’m really happy I got the copper free kind!

Back
Top Bottom