Few big fish or small community fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big fish or Little?

• Fewer big ones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (What?)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there. I was just curious about what type of tanks people prefer to keep and why.

Do you like big tanks with a few big hulking fish, or are you more into the tanks with many pretty little fish exploring every inch of the tank all at once? Why?

EDIT: I prefer the big ones. I like the slow graceful swimming movement, and being able to more closely look at the scales and patterns. Not to mention, one big fish seems to get more attention from visitors than a beautiful community tank.

I prefer bigger fish. You can see them better and any type of disease can be noticed easier. As you said, they look more graceful.

i like the smaller ones more of a city feel. more stuff going on in a little space.

I picked other because I really can't pick between them. I love to watch schooling fish swim with each other but also love the color and swimming of large fish.

I like fewer yet large fish because you can figure out their personality better and are able to establish better "who is who"
I have a large tank that is mainly schooling fish, but Im attatched to my angel, shark and cories because they aren't one of 10 tetras or barbs or whatever

i like the bigger fish cause they are much prettier(to me)

but otherwise you can fit like 100 small neon tetras in a 100 gal tank and it would be beautiful watching them school!

I picked the few big fish. I have had a better time keeping the larger fish, they have better personality, and they are easier to watch.
I am also partial to the predatory fish, like bichers and bushfish, they are fun to watch as they stalk thier food, whether it be prepared, or live food.

That's a tough call, I really like both types of setups. I really enjoy a tank with one, or a few, centerpiece fish with some compatible schooling types. Like my 55 gallon with cichlids and barbs- you can't quite call it a community tank, but it's a community of sorts LOL :twisted: I also love my dwarf cichlid community tanks.

Since I only have a 29gal tank, I go with "many small ones". I love watching my 17 neon tetras school back and forth... especially when they realize it's feeding time.

Then if I had the resources for a much larger tank... my dream tank would be a 90+gal tank setup for some beautiful cichlids... enough room for 6-8 to establish territories and raise fry.

Quake2player said:
Since I only have a 29gal tank, I go with "many small ones". I love watching my 17 neon tetras school back and forth... especially when they realize it's feeding time.

I have both in my 30gal...interesting to watch that group co-exist.

Quake2player said:
Then if I had the resources for a much larger tank... my dream tank would be a 90+gal tank setup for some beautiful cichlids... enough room for 6-8 to establish territories and raise fry.

I'm heading in that direction with my new 75. Cichlids everywhere!!!

Cichlid's are just the coolest fish in the world. 8) I know, I know. In my OPINION they are the coolest fish in the world.

I like both, yet if i have to choose, i would definitly choose many small fish. two fish types are better than one, and three better than two. It adds another aspect of challenge to the husbandry of fishkeeping if you can mix and match different species that you can get to cohesively thrive. Adding hiding space and lots of plants and rocks enables you to have that school of neons that can get away from your bigger angels. I love it, IF it works.

sonoma wrote

"i like the smaller ones more of a city feel. more stuff going on in a little space."

that's how i feel. it's a little city. :D

I like the combination of large and small. It's fun to watch the schooling fish go about all over the tank, but larger fish have more personality and are also a lot of fun to watch.

I still miss Big C, my clown loach, now in fishy heaven! :(

I'm considering setting up my 55 gal tank with live plants and about 5 schools of fish. This way it's the best of both worlds. Big Cichlids in one tank, a bunch of little guys in another.

I go with fewer, few big ones, and also have many small ones. Just one or two large theme fish, then lots of smaller ones. So I guess that puts me in the middle and makes me an "other"

tough to say exactly....
Who's to say when the cutoff from small to big occurs.
I am planning on many different sizes from my rainbows (3-4") to my red-lined barb (6") down to my cories and rasboras (2"). Maybe finished off with a shark (4-12" dep. on species)
I geuss I like some "center" fish with smaller fish to "accent" the look.

I prefer to get one big fish and pair it with a couple of small ones. Of course, to do this you need some pretty benign fish and don't let the big one start out smaller than the little ones. If they pick on it I promise it will remember and be vengeful.

Back
Top Bottom