fiddler crab vs shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband really wants a fiddler crab and shrimp together in my son's tank. I'm not sure how they would get along. Any thoughts?

Well still either way, fiddler crabs need brackish water. So if the son doesn't have a brackish tank, then fiddler crabs aren't an option :)

if you have brackish water then any shrimp you get (ghost shrimp amano shtimp) can breed and reproduce. i dont know how a fiddler crab and a shrimp would do together since you'd have to have land. depending on the size of the tank i doubt you can make enough water for shriimp and fiddler crabs.

I don't think fiddlers and shrimps will work together. Fiddlers need brackish with dry land, and most shrimps need freshwater. The only shrimp that can successfully live in brackish water in the long run is Opae Ola (hard to get at LFS since they are endangered).

I also think the fiddlers might want to eat some shrimps. Are fiddlers territorial?

My husband really wants a fiddler crab and shrimp together in my son's tank. I'm not sure how they would get along. Any thoughts?

IME fiddlers and shrimp work together quite nicely. You'll need a brackish tank with a good bit of land access for the crabs. Ghost shrimp and amanos can both acclimate to brackish, and are larger shrimp that the fiddlers don't see as prey. Of course there will always be the crabs out there more likely to go rogue and kill fish or shrimp, but for the most part they are not murderous. :)

Keyword: long-term. Amano shrimp only breed in brackish, but need to go back to freshwater soon after pumping out larvae. Both Amano and Ghost shrimp can live in brackish but its not good for their health. They are pure fresh water shrimps.

Just put the ghost in brackish. They cost very little anyways. I wouldn't leave the Amanos in the tank for long.

ghost shrimp are fine in brackish water,i had some in a 10 gallon fiddler crab tank for a couple months,and they did just as good,if not better,than some ive kept in fw.

I have a fiddler crab in a freshwater tank and he's doing excellent. Brackish fish are just freshwater fish who can handle a little salt, they can and will thrive in Freshwater. I'm thinking of getting some ghost shrimps too, should be interesting to see how it interacts with the rest of the fish and the crab.

plecoking said:
I have a fiddler crab in a freshwater tank and he's doing excellent. Brackish fish are just freshwater fish who can handle a little salt, they can and will thrive in Freshwater. I'm thinking of getting some ghost shrimps too, should be interesting to see how it interacts with the rest of the fish and the crab.

This is wrong IMO fiddler crabs NEED brackish water bc that's where they stay. Some fish live in both but the species of fiddlers in the aquarium trade NEEDS brackish

allaboutfish said:
This is wrong IMO fiddler crabs NEED brackish water bc that's where they stay. Some fish live in both but the species of fiddlers in the aquarium trade NEEDS brackish

I agree, brackish water fish are not fish that can handle salt, they actually need salt to live. Fiddler crabs NEED brackish water in order to even get close to living to a full lifespan

he needs brackish water. spend the $10 on some marine salt and make the water brackish. the ghost shrimp will do fine in brackish water.

This is completely inaccurate and quite frankly ridiculous.

Sorry but my fiddler crab is happy as a clam in freshwater so are my other brackish fish. Since much about brackish fish is relatively unknown, it's very much subjective. You can't tell me it won't work because I have some brackish fish who would beg to differ and I know many others who also have brackish fish in freshwater doing quite well.

Back
Top Bottom