fiddler crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoodla dollas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am thinking about setting up a 10 gal with a couple fiddler crabs. i want to fill it halfway then put floating plants and rocks cuz they need to get out of the water, but what kind of filter should i use? would an undergravel filter be the best bet? i dont really have that much to spend or i'd be buying a larger tank of course any help would be great thanks

Here's a filter that I think you would like: the Whisper internal filter. I have one in my 2.5 gallon QT tank. You don't have to have the whole filter under water, which would be perfect for your crab setup. For a 10 gallon tank, I would get the 20i. I have the 10i in my 2.5 gallon tank. These filters have an adjustable flow rate also.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12085&N=2004+22779

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! :multi:

Yes, good call on that filter. You can just set it on the bottom of the tank; and as long as the very bottom of the filter is submerged, which is like two inches, it works great! I have the 10i in my five gallon crab tank - perfect!

Fiddler Crab (Uca): The Fiddler crab reaches 2.4" (6 cm). This species must have access to dry land, and is best kept in a tank filled only half way with water. Brackish water is preferred, and a sandy beach is suggested. This crab constructs burrows in the sand. The tank should be furnished with a tight-fitting cover. Combine the Fiddler crab with medium sized brackish water species. This species will eat almost any foods.

Back
Top Bottom