Fiddler Crabs and Brackish Water questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrawnShop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased three fiddler crabs and had a few questions. Originally I had them set up in a freshwater planted (I know I know) tank while I was finishing the setup and cycling on their tank. Now they're in their own 10g with the standard sand hill to one side but I'm stumped on a few things.

Everything I've read said they're the most comfortable in water between 75 and 80 degrees F, but with only a few inches of water I don't think I have enough room for even the smallest tube style heater. I was thinking of placing one in sideways or possibly partway under the sand, but somehow neither of those ideas seemed to be the right solution as that would either completely submerge them and give them another cord with which to plan their escape.

I'm kinda new to the whole brackish water thing and so far the tank seems pretty barren compared to my others. So I was wondering if there was anything else that I could liven the tank up with, such as maybe a small fish or like a few anemone or something, or should I just enjoy the simplicity of it all.

Also, what are some of the guidelines as far as filtration and water changes in a tank like this? I've got a submerged sponge-type filter that I think does a better job of just moving water around than it does filtering anything out of it. But coming from a world of bio-wheels and CO2 kits I just feel like I'm missing something.

In a somewhat unrelated question... I think I'm to the point where I've used all of the available power outlets on the wall with my tanks. I've got all of the wall outlets filled with the strip-type timers and all of the strips filled with the usual assortment of heaters and filters, etc. Outside of completely rewiring that wall of my house what do some of you guys do when you get to that point.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help.

I had some fiddlers, until they killed a bunch of my fish, and they were fine and dandy in fw... of course they stayed out of the water probably 80% of the time... i kept them in a tank without a heater... sponge filter is probably going to be your best bet if your water level is pretty low, or an in-tank filter of some sort... as far as the electrical question goes, i made an extension cord out of two strands of 10-2 wire and a junction box on the ends with 4 plugs each and a gfci plug on each one on the other end... gave me 8 outlets and i ran it about 15' because of the same problem... probably the easiest as regular extension cords are usually 14 gauge wire and wont support more than 2-3 things running on it...

Back
Top Bottom