Fiddler Crabs + Archerfish = Compatible???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legacy

Aquarium Advice Freak
This Sunday I'm stocking my new Mangrove Swamp tank with a small shoal of 5 Toxote Jaculatrix Archerfish. I have a large piece of drift wood that will extend about 4" out of the water that has a large surface area and several "roots" that branch off of it. Seems like a perfect place for fiddlers to climb around on.

Here's the question... what are the odds that the archers are going to eat them for lunch? Maybe they wont when they're small, but what happens when they get about 4-6" in size? Their mouths are shaped for surface eating so I doubt they'd eat the crabs off the bottom, just curious what would happen when the crabs got on the branch if they might start getting shot down.

Anyone have any experience with this? I thought I'd ask before I tried to mix the 2.

Yeah, I know they get up to 10", I just figured at about 4-6" the crabs might start to fit in their mouths! :eek:

I thought about the whole insectivore thing, but when it comes down to it it's still a predator and it still eats things like fish. I've also heard that some researchers have found that the archerfish will use thier jets of water to blow sand away to locate clams to eat. I'd imagine that only happens in time when insects are too hard to locate.

I think what I'll do is just give the crabs a shot and see what happens. I'll wait a few weeks and test out their feeding habits first.

Thanks for the valuable info! :D

Back
Top Bottom