fiddler crabs dead??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelfishy8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 grown fiddler crabs that I have had for about 2 weeks. They were fine until now. I checked the tank today and they were upside down laying on their backs. I thought they were dead but I could see them moving a little bit. When I flipped them back over, one of them started walking around a little bit then flipped over again. I dont know what to do!! Does anyone have any ideas as to whats going on??

Done--moved.

Angelfishy, I hate to say it, but if fish/inverts are in this condition, they seldom recover. There is a possibility that the two are about to molt...

My rec: do a 50% water change. Nitrate levels might be high (or ammonia, nitrite), and a water change might help.

For some reason, these fish don't live too long... I want to get some as well, but I'm thinking about just getting them a small 10-gallon. They do need salty water though, so that may be a problem as to why. Here's a thread I posted asking questions about critters: http://www.aquaria.info/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=24596

Our Crabs

In January, 2001 we decided crabs would make a good addition to the family. We set up a 15 gallon tank, half filled with water with some sea salt added. We planted live plants (with a full spectrum light in the canopy), and got a ridiculously expensive large rock with two holes in it which provided great little hides for crabs, and they were also able to climb on top of the rock. We got four fiddler crabs. We fed sinking food tablets and shrimp pellets. Unfortunately, after three months or so and several molts, all of the crabs died. I still have all their photos posted here.

This is just an idea, angelfishy, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Have you ever had to treat any disease in your tank? Some of the meds out there are very toxic to invertebrates.

For instance, meds using copper will kill invertebrates. Also, I've read that if you use a copper med, it will sit in your gravel for a long time and it is next to impossible to get rid of.

Perhaps this is the reason your crabs and lobster died?
Paul

Back
Top Bottom