Fighting angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoppy76

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 360 litre community tank with a mixture of tetra's, cory's, plecs, gourami's and angels. I bought four angels as infants and they soon paired and grew to healthy mature angels. I lost on angel a few months ago and there has been a territorial battle ever since.

Any advice how to stop the fighting would be welcome.

Regards
Lee

Adult angels will be naturally aggressive as they seek out territory.

Paired Angels are even worse, I've had friends lose a lot of fish because they had a mating pair being overly aggressive.

As for stopping it, well, either remove the single angel or the mated pair.

That's the only thing I can see that'll sort out this issue.

Sorry :(

This type of aggression is natural when there is an odd angel out. Is there a way you could get any more angels roughly the same size? When angels are kept in a group of at least 6 aggression is more spread out and no one individual tends to get picked on solely.

Also if you could get more you would want to remove the 3 original angels, rearrange the tank, add the new angels, then put the old angels back in. What happens is this often confuses the established angels into thinking they are in a new tank where they have no established territory. I have 12 adult breeding angels in a 220g 100% planted tank.

Thanks for your quick responses. I will take your advice and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom