figure 8 tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, this topic often has much debate, and i wanted to get some more opinions. I have kept my figure 8's with black mollies and bumblebee gobys with no issues. And am curious if anyone else has tried anything else and what success or failures they have had.

I have a green spotted puffer in with my peacock eels and black ghost knife fish and royal pleco. I have not had an issue with them at all but I keep them well fed. I also have read online that they do not get mean till they get a little bigger.

but GSP are high end brackish fish, and by some are believed to thrive in almost marine conditions. How long have you had this tank set up with those fish? I have a 2 GSP in a 50 gallon tank and my salinity is 1.015. I don't think your puffer will be very healthy if he continues to live in freshwater.

I do have the salinity higher in my tank, its not as high as yours but they need to have the salinity that high, from what I have researched, after they grow to be about 4".

but then your black ghost knife and pleco will struggle as they are all strictly freshwater. and i know the eel is freshwater, but can have some salt...but not brackish water. Im fairly certain your fish are not compatible. As far as salinity, they need to be in 1.010-1.015 from 2-4 inches, and past 4 inches they should be at 1.018-1.022 for optimal health. What salinity is your tank at?

I only plan on keeping the puffers for a little longer in there I have a 29 I have cycling and am going to move them there. I don't want to take the chance of putting any of them in danger

Then you'll have to slowly drop the SG in the current tank back to freshwater. best of luck to you, i would not be surprised if your fish are stressed already as freshwater fish do not tolerate brackish conditions.

They're all acting fine. I didn't use the marine salt I used the freshwater salt in there. Everyone is happy in the tank.

hmmm well GSP need marine salt, not aquarium salt. they might all look fine, but this is causing them much internal damage and stress. I suggest you quickly get them to the right parameters or else they will either be permanently effected or worse...

will do I am getting RO water tomorrow, I know its not needed for fresh water fish, but I think it will be the best to get them back to the right parameters without harming them with extra unneeded chemicals.

as long as the puffer enters a high end brackish tank obtained with marine salt of about 30gals, and the eel, pleco and knife enter a freshwater tank of at least 55 gals( which he will outgrow and need over 100 gals at full adulthood). then you should be okay. good luck

That's the plans. The wife is getting me a 150 during the presidents day sale at the lfs. They're half off there. I will put the gsp's In the 55 I have now and move everyone else to the 150, after cycled of course.

Hey all, this topic often has much debate, and i wanted to get some more opinions. I have kept my figure 8's with black mollies and bumblebee gobys with no issues. And am curious if anyone else has tried anything else and what success or failures they have had.

Knight goby is a good try. You have a 33 long right?

that is correct, i was thinking of adding bbg but wanted to see if other types would work too! Terrance, what have you housed them with before?

I threw in 2 bumblebees. They were doing well with the 2 f8 in a 29g. I only had f8 for 1.5 weeks before i sent them back to the lfs. They were not healthy when i bought them. I ended up turning the f8 tank to FW and bbg went back to lfs as well. I will get a 40g for single f8 with no tankmate in the future.

You can try a lot of fish wih your f8. Everything rides on your puffs personality. If you have tankmates then the floor plan of the tank is really important.

Yeah area of the bottom. Your tank is 4ft long so it should be less stressful for the puff and its future tankmate. Add lots of decor, which might end up looking overloaded. Knight goby will stay in a cave all day. Bbg usually stay in one spot but add lots of cover as well. The adult knight would eat the bbg. Hopefully your puff will not kill all intruders in its 4ft long tank.

Back
Top Bottom