Figured i would screw up sooner than later. Nirite out of control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobzond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well things were going great and I was fully cycled. I have a 29 galling with eheim 2213. I listen to Lfs and think I went too fast. I had about 5 fish for a while then at the same time put in the following. 5 harlequins, 1 krib and 1 Bn pleco.

I figured this caused a cycle. My ammonia went up and back to zero now my nitrites are through the roof for three weeks now. I have been doing every other day 50 percent access and it just goes back up he next day. What should I do now?? It has been three weeks

Maybe too many fish for that sized tank? If you are overstocked you are never going to be able to get ahead of the nitrites.

Do you test the water after you change it? Maybe try two water changes of the same size to get a lower level and keep with your schedule. Like if you're doing 1 30% change every other day, try doing a 30-50% change, fill it back up then do another 30-50% change, then test. Next time just add a couple fish at a time, and I wouldn't ever add more than one pleco at a time or add a pleco and other fish at the same time.

With excessive filtration you can get ahead of the nitrites even being overstocked. You will not however get ahead of nitrates. As aquachem said 6-8 weeks is normal for cycling. Keep at those pwc.

Sorry for the delayed response and thank you for the advice.

My cycled tank was setup for 8 weeks cycling with 4 platys two of which died. Then I added 7 neon tetras, all water tests were good. Then added drawrf gourami, all was still good.

Then I added 5 rasboras, 1 krib and 1 pelco at the same time. Three days later the ammonia went up then to zero and still after 4 weeks nitrites are crazy. I can and have done back to back 50 pic with no avail. The test after a change are better like .50 nitrites.

Nothing has died since the two platys during the cycle but the krib and gourami are slow.

By the way it's a 29 gallon tank. I have never cleaned the canister should I do this??

Stock list
2 platies
7 neons
5 rasboras harlequin
1 krib
1 Bn pelco.

To control the nitrite, you should control the ammonia. As long as there an ammonia reading, nitrite production will be at maximum. A build up of ammonia will cause the nitrite reading to be high.

I get what you are saying however should I cut back on feeding or even fast then for a week? I am still seeing over 1ppm nitrite

To start with, you should be doing consecutive water changes until your nitrite is under 1 ppm. If for whatever reason you cannot control the nitrite, you could consider adding some salt (assuming no salt sensitive species, plants, etc) to alleviate some of the nitrite toxicity.

You can probably dramatically cut back on feeding without having any consequences. I know some people who feed every 2-3 days without problem. A week long fast is probably unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom