Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Film on water

It hasn't affected much yet in almost 2 weeks but I have some concerns about my water. The surface of the water isn't clear...its like a dust or film has settled on top. The rest of the water is fine but I can't do anything about the surface.

My biggest concern with it is that it is definately impacting the amount of light my plants are getting. For a week I pointed my Cascade 700's output at the surface to try and stir it up but it had little effect (it did help some but not entirely) Now that I'm adding CO2 I don't want to do that anymore.

I've done water changes but since its on the surface of the water that doesn't do anything to get rid of it since its almost impossible to skim the surface. Its probably dust from the substrate I added a couple weeks ago.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
src
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you have a short tube for your siphon, it's actually pretty easy to skim the surface. Hold the tube so that most of it is underwater, with the mouth angled upwards to the surface. You have to find the right balance, but ideally keep the water level in the tube lower than the water level in the tank, and the surface water will just "fall" into the siphon tube.

Check out this thread for pictures and discussion of the film I've been dealing with.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

A suface skimer could help, but that puts you back to a situation that loses CO2. http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...er.asp?CartId=

Do you have a python? Sometimes when my surface scum builds up, I invert the python and take the water from the surface for a few water changes. A good enough suction on the python can deal with the inevitable air bubbles you get when trying to create a whirlpool to suck in surface water.

Sometimes this can be a symptom of overfeeding, sometimes it's just buildup from water changes always occuring below the surface.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Well, it started a week and a half before I added fish so I don't think its food related I use a python and my water pressure is really sorta crappy...I'll see if I can invert it though. I don't think it'll work.

Maybe that paper towel idea will work for me. My film isn't nearly as bad as that and I think once I eliminate it, it won't come back (since I think its just dust)
Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it possible the water is over saturated with chemicals you are adding for the plants? I know I add sea-chems line of trace elements and a bunch of other stuff. that tank seems to be the worst with getting that film
Old 07-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codefox
I use a python and my water pressure is really sorta crappy...
In the summer time, I just run my python out the door, and the extra height diffrence drives more water than the water pressure at my tap.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think the people below me would appreciate that

I did manage to increase the pressure a bit by making sure every connection was tight and I was able to skim the surface clean.

And then I messed with my plants and now I'm going to have to skim it again
Old 07-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I'm glad you found something that worked!

Tags
film

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com