Filstar XP3 leaking problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADFs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just set up my 55 gal and after about a day I realised my rena filstar filter was leaking from around the top of the motor housing and where the power cord comes out of the housing. I ordered and replaced the impeller o-ring seal and it was fine for a while but after a few hours started to leak from the power cord again. There is no obvious damage to the other seals (disconnect and main seals), I was wondering what was the problem.

I got the filter second hand with the tank so do not know how old it is but it looks reasonably new.

Although I have detached the filter I have continued cycling as I have two other filters in the tank. Will this affect cycling majorly? thanks

do a search of this site on XP3.

There are many posts on the issue. I'm not saying this to deflect from an answer, but the solutions posted within those threads goes far deeper than what I can.

But relax, there is indeed a solution.

As Shelby pointed out, this is a common occurance with the XP3. Many members complain about water leaking around the power cord. Try doing a search.

A lot of times this is due to clogged filter media. If your sponges are plugged up, this may happen. Rinse everything out really well and it should be fine. But if everything is new inside, then there's other problems.

thanks. All the media is new or has been washed. From the search I think Ill try raising the filter (although it is much less than they say is the maximum distance), check the impeller but past that I cannot find anything.

this may sound silly, but I can't work out how to get at the impeller i.e. to open up the motor housing bit. Can anyone help?

Underneath the top, you can turn the center piece and remove it. It's a cover for the impeller. Then the impeller just pulls out. It will be strong, so you might have to use some muscle, but it comes out. It's just the magnets.

Back
Top Bottom