Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been talking about this for a little while, and I believe I need to up my filter. Right now, I have a UGF and I think it is the reason some of my fish are dying. I have read that they can trap ammonia bubbles under it, and it bothers me that I can't clean underneath it. And I am not sure if gravel got underneath it during my move...

SO!

Aquaclear 70? Marineland Emperor 400? (found a decent price.)

Or an Internal filter Fluval 4?... (It is for a 29 gal)

Hopefully I make some real money at work tonight. (it has been slow for servers after NYE) and will be able to purchase a new one! I have heard pretty much all good things about the AC 70, mixed reviews on the EMP 400 (but it has 400 gph!) and nothing about internal filters except Fluvals are supposedly top of the line.

Drew

You clean under a UGF by sucking the waste up through the plates. You have to dig your vacuum deep into the gravel and suction until you get clear water in the tube.

If you want to ditch the UGF, remove it from the tank. It'll trap waste and be a major nitrate problem otherwise.

I like HOBs over internal filters. They leave more room for fish. I've got an AC70 on my 29g and it's awesome. 400gph might be a little much on a FW 29g.

I just put a AC30 on my 16gal and it is very loud. I am going to try a few things I have read on here, but right now I wouldn't suggest it. I love the concept and how it works, but LOUD.

I recently added a aquaclear 50 as a second filter for my tank, and so far, I really like it. Not to loud at all, and you can put whatever media inside you want. I did a lot of research on HOB's, and ended up finding out that every one loves aquaclears (made by hagen!) :)

Back
Top Bottom