Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brew86uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys I really need to change my filter the white bit how do I go about changing it ?? Do I put the new filter in with the old one for a week then take the old one out ?? And does the black carbon help the tank much thanks ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your old filter and what is your new filter?

Leave both filters running together for 1 month so the new filter can build up on bacteria.

Most here dont use black carbon. It gets used up in around a month (give or take) and will need replacing or it will leech everything back into tank.
Black carbon is best used to removed medicine and smells and impurities from tank.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 35 litre tank from betta I only use white cotton stuff but it's 16months old and I have never changed it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your old filter and what is your new filter?

Leave both filters running together for 1 month so the new filter can build up on bacteria.

Most here dont use black carbon. It gets used up in around a month (give or take) and will need replacing or it will leech everything back into tank.
Black carbon is best used to removed medicine and smells and impurities from tank.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agree with the filters- if you need to change the pad, put a new one in a month before you remove the old one. Honestly unless it's falling apart you shouldn't need to replace it.

The carbon though is not true, it does not release what it has absorbed back into the water. Correct though that it is used to remove impurities like tannins and for removing medications.

Caleb

Agree with the filters- if you need to change the pad, put a new one in a month before you remove the old one. Honestly unless it's falling apart you shouldn't need to replace it.

The carbon though is not true, it does not release what it has absorbed back into the water. Correct though that it is used to remove impurities like tannins and for removing medications.

Caleb

Tom Barr proved that activated carbon will de-sorb, but only under specific conditions, one of these being acidic water.

Back
Top Bottom