filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaylag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i currently have a 75 gallon tank with two aqueon quietflow 75 filters and i need to upgrade to a larger tank. can i put those 2 filters onto a 120 gallon tank or do i need to get a larger filter?

It would depend on what you want to put in the tank. The filtration should be sized for the amount of fish you are keeping and the amount of waste they produce rather than the size of the tank.

Those 2 filters would be fine if you wanted to stock your bigger tank lightly. For example if your 75 is fully stocked and you are just wanting to get a bigger tank to give them a bigger living environment the filtration you have would be fine.

If however you wanted to fully stock the bigger tank, for example goldfish, say 10 comets, you would need more filtration.

A good rule of thumb is to half the rated filtration. You have 2 filters rated for 90 gallons, so together they are rated for 180 gallons. Half that and they will actually be good filtration for a fully stocked 90 gallon tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom