Filter acceptable for 40G Breeder??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this filter is too weak for a 40 gallon breeder. I have 3 HOB's on my 40b, but there are 3 fancy goldfish in it. I recommend something that is rated at 400 gph such as an Aquaclear 110 or a Marineland 350-400. You can do a canister if you are inclined, I just don't like them. I have a Marineland Magnum sitting in the garage because I hate it.

Edit: Actually, now that I read your post again I would recommend a sponge filter if you are only going to have GBR and their fry. I like the hydro pro sponge filters. Just hook them up to an air pump with an airstone and you have excellent biological filtration along with decent mechanical filtration. Also, none of your fry will be sucked up by the filter.

any chance you could post a link to one of these sponge filters??

and yes i plan to have the pair and their fry... maybe some shrimp or something like that but not going to overboard since this will be a breeding only tank

You don't need a powerhead but they work with it. You hook the airline up to it with an airstone attached. The airstone sits toward the middle of the sponge filter in a tube. The air pump creates air bubbles that rise through the tube, but because the air bubbles have no where to go except for up through the tube it pulls water in through the sponge creating the filtration effect. The biological filtration from a sponge filter is very good.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/sponge_filtration.html

This site explains how they work and how they are beneficial and compares them to other types of filtration.

ok so in theory it looks really good, although i dunno if i'm completely sold on the idea...

i have/had a HOB breeder box that worked on the same basic idea of an air line plugged up to it but the water circulation in the box is not what it should be... how can i be sure these sponges will actually provide decent circulation for a breeding tank? to me it seems like there would be a lot of stagnent(sp) water.

the prices are amazing but until i can be sure it will work beyond a doubt i may have to hold off.

Google full tank sponge filter or read through the articles at angelsplus.com. They have a lot of good info on them.

The pro series is for use with powerheads, the standard is for use with airstones. the airstone sits in the bottom and as the bubbles go up the pipe, they create a suction which brings water in through the slits in the tube in the sponge part. I keep a couple going in my tank incase of needing to get a fry tank going quick (many fry love to feed on them) or if i need to quick start a hospital/quarantine tank.

the purpose and usage of these filters is appealing, but my concern is the turnover rate.

i'm trying to find a filter for a 40G Breeder tank but somehow i don't see how these sponge filters can turnover 400GPH using only the vaccum created by air bubbles....

sorry, i'm just a huge skeptic lol:D

go with a spong prefilter over the intake of your hob. the sponge filter is not going to move 400 gallons. but for a light bio load like fry or shrimp i would be ok with just the sponge, but if the breeding pair will be in there too, i would do a prefilter, just my opinion.

I honestly plan on only having the breeding pair and the fry... not sure if I wanna add shrimp

Edit- i just read your post again and i see what you're saying... i'll probably use either my spare AC70 or buy a fluval 306 and modify the intake tube.

Back
Top Bottom