Filter Advice for Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aeruelas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For gold fish in fully stockedtank would two water filters be better one internal and other external

29g I have a submersible water filter pump and another that hangs from tank

How many goldfish do you have and how powerful are the filters as far as gallons per hour?

Knowing the exact stocking and models of the filters (and gallons per hour of each) would help.

In absence of that information, however, it is generally recommended to have double filtration for a fully stocked goldfish tank.

As to accomplish that with one filter or a combination of two, there are pros and cons regarding each alternative.

The benefit of one larger filter is having only one filter to maintain.

The benefit of two filters is that if one goes offline for any reason, the other one will still be providing some filtration while you are repairing/replacing the one that went down.

Good luck!

Someone told me once in a normal tank you should have 6x the gallons of your tank in gph. For example my aqueon quietflow 30 is rated at 200gph and my aquatech 10-20 is rated at 120gph. My tank is 36 gallons and 36x6 is 216 while my combined gph is 320.

I'm not sure if the person who said the 6x gph thing was correct, but if he was then you'd want even more in a goldfish tank. I hope someone comes in and tells me whether I'm right or I'm way way off

Someone told me once in a normal tank you should have 6x the gallons of your tank in gph. For example my aqueon quietflow 30 is rated at 200gph and my aquatech 10-20 is rated at 120gph. My tank is 36 gallons and 36x6 is 216 while my combined gph is 320.

I'm not sure if the person who said the 6x gph thing was correct, but if he was then you'd want even more in a goldfish tank. I hope someone comes in and tells me whether I'm right or I'm way way off

You're not way off. :)

The general recommendation for a fully stocked goldfish tank is 8-10 times tank size in gallons per hour. Five times is the common recommendation for most other fish, so the person who told you 6x got it about right.

Ok good thanks lol.
So to the op, you're shooting for 232-290 gph of filtration. I always go maximum with filters. If you don't know the models of your filters, you could post a picture here and someone might be able to identity them.

Hi! When you mention your tank is 'fully stocked' exactly how many goldfish/what type are they? A 29g is fully stocked with two fancies. Any single-tail goldfish (comet, common, shubunkin, etc) would overstock this size tank with just one fish. The recommended filtration for a goldfish tank would be minimum of 10x the tank size or for a 29g, 290gph (gallons per hour). More is always better but it will not alleviate the problems & health issues associated with overstocking with goldies.

I have 2 one year old common 2 fan tail 2younger common 1 skirt tetra 1 australian rainbow. And a whisper 85gph submersible pump and the other II don't know but its the canister kind that came with tank. I know having all these fish together is wrong but like I said I had no choice the previous owner died and I took em in they all get along well and none have died and they been like.we this well alittle more than a year I do frequent full water changes but I admit I. Did. Slack for one week and one fish got ick.now gone

Would you consider rehoming the commons to a happy pond? This would reduce your bioload significantly & they would be much happier. This realistically would be your best option unless you have plans for a much larger tank. Something to consider. :)

I fill tank add conditioners and leave running 4 hrs since idont have a holding tank just buckets sometimes less when it's in the day cause its hot down here in south Texas and water will warm in a while stressing them that's what happen and got ich

That's not cycling. By having fish you've begun a fish-in cycle. There's an article on here but its hard for me to link it on my phone and its late lol so hopefully someone will post it for you. But anyways you should do a water change as soon as you can

Back
Top Bottom