Filter bag advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fidgetromeo

Aquarium Advice Activist
probably a pretty dumb question but how do i actually use a filter bag, i know to scoop the stuff into it and throw it in the filter, but how is the best way to stop it just emptying itself into the filter? is there a way to seal the open end like using a paperclip (yes i know not to actually use a paperclip)

It depends of your filter type/brand. In my eheim canister I would only drop it there and this do the job... For HOB (Head on back) or clippable, it's another story !!

its a Fluval 106 canister I'm planning on using it in, with carbon granules in the bag

Two things that work well that I can think of are a shortened plastic coated bread bag twist tie or the plastic tab you see on the end of some 5 pound potato bags. The bread bag tie is the smallest and best to use. Just be sure to use the plastic coated, and what tiny amount of metal that shows in the cut end is not enough to affect your water quality. Hope this helps, OS

I believe the fluvial brand carbon is pretty bagged. Its another thought. Otherwise a regular old zip tie and cut it off when you need to change it.

It does come pre bagged but It's cheaper to buy a big tub of it loose, I like the zip tie idea I have tons of them just lying around. Anyone think zip ties might be a not so good idea?

Back
Top Bottom