Filter carbon and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeldmansFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just moved some java fern sprouts to my 30 gallon which has filters that run carbon. Is carbon bad for plants and if so, should I remove it?

I just moved some java fern sprouts to my 30 gallon which has filters that run carbon. Is carbon bad for plants and if so, should I remove it?

Yes, it will remove organic waste nutrients that plants need in the water column. If you rely on carbon then get purigen, lasts longer and doesn't remove nutrients plants need.

Chemical Medium and Plants

Hello Feld...

Chemical medium (carbon) won't harm your plants. It collects the small particles in the water and takes in the odors from the water, but that's all it does.

Actually, frequent water changes do the same thing. So, if you're good about doing your water changes, you don't need to use carbon.

B

I have used carbon in planted tanks and unless you use huge amounts I have never noticed it did anything in removing ferts that I have added to the tank. It is not harmful to plants. It is usually only active for 2-4 weeks before it is full and then it just acts as a media for BB to grow on. This subject is highly controversial so you will get arguments on both sides. I'm just telling you what I have actually seen/expierenced in my own tanks.

Thanks. I was just worried because my filter pads come with carbon inside (Aqueon Quietflow)

Back
Top Bottom