Filter cartridge ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHBowhunter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a top fin filter that takes 2 catridges. PetSmart told me to change the cartridges once a month, but i have also heard that is not needed.

a friend told me to change them when water no longer can pass thru them, and then only change one at a time abou a week apart cause of the cycle issue.

so what is the recomended best way and time to change them.

i also put extra carbon in the filter bag im not sure if that makes a difference though.

as always thx for your help

I have 4 filter cartridges in my emperor 400,and I usually just rinse them in used tank water when I do a water change.But if you must change them,by all means,change only one at a time.I switch out one of my cartridges every 6 months.

How often you have to change the carts will depend on the bio load in the tank and on how often you clean the tank. I changed mine when they got dirty. As long as water will freely flow though them, I'd leave them in. Rinsing them in tank water, as mentioned above, at water changes is certainly an option also. I agree with alternating cart changes too...it'll help keep the bacterial colony going.

Back
Top Bottom