Filter cartridge changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephenpjenkins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Quick question... I have a non-biowheel powerfilter and noticed that the filter cartridge looks like it has a good amount of bacterial growth on the pad. The cartridge has a clip on top that can be removed and the frame taken out of the cartridge leaving just a bag of floss and activated carbon.

My concern is that I would think that by getting rid of the whole cartridge, I would be losing a great deal of biological filtration. I was thinking about just rinsing out the floss with used aquarium water from a water change to get the chunks off and then refilling with fresh carbon and putting it back into the filter. Is this a good idea or am I really not losing all that much by using a brand new cartridge?

You are definitely correct in your thinking that there is a lot of bacteria growing on that pad. I like to hold onto those things as long as possible, until they are losing shape and hopelessly tattered, before I replace them. Rinse them off in tank water or dechlorinated tap water and, like you say, get the big chunks off, and pop it back in. I don't bother with carbon in my filters unless I am trying to remove medication or something, but that is up to you. I like to clear those filter cartridges once a week.

Back
Top Bottom