Filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beehpee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi to everyone, I have just done my water change and as part of my routine I as always cleaned the sponge in one side of my filter in the removed tank water, I've just been thinking tho about the bio rings in the centre compartment, I noticed they have a brownish tinge to them which I'm assuming is quite normal, so regarding the rings do I have to do anything with them at all? Maybe give them a bit of a swill in same tank water? Do I have to replace them at all? Maybe just a portion of them at a time or something? I'm fairly certain I should never replace them all at one go as this would I think get rid of most of my BB, any advice would be appreciated.

BP

I'm assuming your talking about a canister filter? I do the same as you. Swish the sponges in old tank water. Then I'll take the water in the bucket and gently poor it into the center of the trays. I have 3(fx5)

That's all I do, I don't touch them just let the water hit them lightly. Some people leave the center tray empty also and just use the sponges.

But that should be it really. No much needs to be done with them really.

Hope this helps.

Hi Convict i have a FW tank with an internal fluval u3 filter, has 3 compartments with outer on each side holding sponge/floss and centre compartment has a container which holds the bio rings, sorry should have explained, filter seems so far to be doing an excellent job, tank is only a couple of months old and fingers crossed I'm not gonna jinx things but water perams as tested using API master kit have been just about perfect since started, I'm half expecting something to hit the fan to be honest but I'm fastidious with water changes and keeping on top of everything so you never know I might be one of the lucky ones. By the way I've been reading loads of your posts on here and found them very interesting even tho I'm not (yet) into the salty world.

BP

Beehpee said:
Hi Convict i have a FW tank with an internal fluval u3 filter, has 3 compartments with outer on each side holding sponge/floss and centre compartment has a container which holds the bio rings, sorry should have explained, filter seems so far to be doing an excellent job, tank is only a couple of months old and fingers crossed I'm not gonna jinx things but water perams as tested using API master kit have been just about perfect since started, I'm half expecting something to hit the fan to be honest but I'm fastidious with water changes and keeping on top of everything so you never know I might be one of the lucky ones. By the way I've been reading loads of your posts on here and found them very interesting even tho I'm not (yet) into the salty world.

BP

Haha glad you find them interesting, I've had a few bumpy rides but I stay on top of things. You'll be fine, just keep doing what your doing. My fx5 is similar to yours as far as setup.

I don't disturb the media rings too much. I just like gently trickle the old tank water over all three compartments and I even swish old tank water in the actual housing as well.

Sounds like you have everything in check so.... The old saying of it ain't broke why fix it?

Just continue doing your thing IMO

Dino

Hi bee

I have an extra U2 in my 50g tank that runs alongside my canister filter.

Lately I have been trailing different ways of cleaning my filters to reduce some algae in my tank.

Here is what I do to clean my U2.

I remove the U2 into a small bucket of tap water that has been treated with prime.

I remove the side cartridges and really squeeze them out. I remove the centre biorings and rinse them well.

I use an old toothbrush to clean the filter housing and the cartridges for the sponges and rings etc.

Then I continue with my PWC.

I also do this with my canister filter. Breaking it down into pieces and cleaning it in dechlorinated water.

Seems to be keeping the algae at bay better than using the old tank water.

I've had zero bad effects so far from performing this type of cleaning.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom