Filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I'm new to the new filters (Eheim 2013 and Fluval 404) I'm looking for some guidance about how often should i change the media.

I suspect that it depends a lot on the tank, the fish, the plants, etc... but how do I know when is time to change the floss, wash the sponges and rinse the rings?

Thanks!!!! :D

Never change the media (sponges, bio-balls)...just rinse (according to a schedule you will determine). The floss will accumulate detrius over time and will need to be changed. You will have to take a peek to see when. Once you know the longevity, you can incorporate it into your regular maintenance schedule.

Depends on a number of factors. Since I have a heavily stocked, lightly planted tank, I usually can go 3-4 weeks. Most of the accumulation is tiny plant matter. Which brings up a good idea.

You can use a pre-filter attachment to the intake tube. This will retard tiny particles of plant debris from getting in your filter(s) in the first place...thereby allowing the floss to last even longer. :)

Back
Top Bottom