Filter configuration - bio balls, ceramics etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking at the configuration of my TetraTec EX700 canister filter I have

At the moment it has - bottom to top
1: Ceramic Rings with foam on top
2: Bio Filter Balls
3: Foam x 2
4: Foam, Carbon, Floss.

Water starts at the bottom and makes its way to the top.

I want to maximise the filtration of the unit and I guess it's best to do that when my stock is low rather than mess with things later.

Firstly, I can take the carbon out, and replace it with something else, if so, what?

Also what's the general opinion on Bio filter balls? Are these effective and do they do the same or slightly different job to the ceramic rings? If so which is the most effective? i.e. Would I improve my filtration by removing the bio balls and replacing them with (say) more ceramic rings? Or would that cause other problems?!

I have a Marineland C-360 with a very similar setup. I've been told that bio-balls are meant for wet/dry trickle filters and putting them in a canister isn't really a proper or effective use, but I have no problems with my setup. If you want to, replace all the BB with the ceramic rings or other type of similar media, as much as you can fit in there.

Also for the carbon, unless you're removing meds, not necessary. I've heard from several that is only last a few days to a week at best anyways. The waste that fish generate will burn out the carbon too fast I guess. Save it for filtering your drinking water!!

I use Purigen, it costs $10-$15 USD for a small pre-sealed 100mL bag and lasts a lot longer (6 months+) and is rechargeable. I would think you would be able to get it in the UK but who knows.

I'm thinking of stocking along the lines of the following

6 x Black Skirt Tetra
6 x Corydoras (probably Bronze)
6 x Gold Barb
5 x Molly
12 x Glow Light Tetra

How is your water quality over there? You may want to think about adding some peat to Soften the water with the fish you have chosen.

I recall when my friend was setting up my 25 gal tank (with fluval 205 filter), back in September 2009. Through my ignorance and inexperience, on my first media change, I placed the ceramic rings, in what I thought was the proper place (bottom filter). Without going into the gory details, this wreaked havoc on the tank (along with a few others things, I'm sure); deaths, cloudy water, etc.

After getting frustrated with what was going on, I checked the manual and saw that the ceramic rings should've been in the top basket.....and I remember my friend setting up the filter that way.

Two media changes ago, I altered where the rings went and also got rid of the charcoal (based on previous advice)....this was replaced by filter floss.

Since then, very clear water, no deaths, opaque water in-take tube is almost clear (was quite gunky) and less mess in the filter.

Luanne

Back
Top Bottom