Filter Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sigh.

My new 20L build was going swimmingly (((sorry))) until Friday night when we came home and discovered that the circuit to the room where the new tank was went our. Resetting the breaker did not fix the problem.

Then it got ugly.

The next morning I discovered a puddle of water next to the tank.

Can you help me figure out why?
My guesses are:
a. The tank. I don't believe it is the tank as I refilled it and there were no new puddles.
b. One of the three filters. I had three AQ30 HOBs attached. Right now the media is sitting in a bucket.
c. I overfilled the filters with media.
d. I overfilled the tank. This is my guess.
e. Other.

In the meantime am re-starting the tank scape while waiting for the electrician to come on Monday. There are no fish, snails or shrimp in the tank. I plan to test the filters for leaks by hanging them on the front of the tank…when I have power again.

Sad.

Was the water level low in the tank? That would rule out overfilling. If it's not still leaking, it might have been something to do with one of the filters.

Was the water level low in the tank? That would rule out overfilling. If it's not still leaking, it might have been something to do with one of the filters.

I am testing the filters by running them (extension cord) on the front of the tank. So far no leaks.

image-3663871214.jpg

The tank is right now an inch or so from the bottom of the rim.

I think I must have overfilled the tank trying to quiet the splashing, however the juxtaposition of the timing of the circuit breaker going out at the same time is strange. I thought at first it was because the power strip was sitting in said puddle, but it was not full of water and is working.

image-1676099717.jpg

Of course right now the power strip is sitting on the bed, not where it was. I put it there while running the filter test.

image-1809779018.jpg

If you have any other thoughts, please feel free to share.

Overflow

I also crammed so much seeded media and a purigen packet crammed into the filters that I think that may have caused the overflow puddle …that the power strip/timer was sitting in... which probably caused the circuit to go.

Of course… even though my poor hubby tried to reset it over and over again since it went out Friday night…it didn't work UNTIL the electrician was standing there this morning, Monday.

Back to testing the water and re-setting up the tank.

Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom