filter floss??? can someone explain what it is and where to find at petsmart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a AC 70 on a 29 gallon freshwater tank...i removed the carbon and added an extra bio max bag to the filter..so i currently have foam, bio,bio... i keep hearing about somekind of floss that i can add to this setup here that filters even better then the foam....im not sure if its called floss, or fibers or whatever it is... can someone tell me what others are talking about? and the only store local is a petsmart... what would it be called at petsmart? i would do a setup like this, foam,floss,bio,bio....i think that would be perfect...just not sure what that floss is, what it does, or how often it needs changing..thank you much...

Petsmart does not sell it. Filter floss is the stuff that is in pillows or in quilts. It is used because there is a great deal of surface area on it, and it is fine so it will get a lot of the gunk that is from your tank. filter floss - Google Search

I would be surprised if it wasn't sold in most pet stores in some form. Polyester wool or batting is sold in lots of places including department stores such as Walmart. it can be sold as pillow stuffing or quilt batting. For an AC filter, my preference is for quilt batting as it is basically in sheet form so it is easy to cut a piece the right size to fit into the filter. I also like to use two sponge inserts and place the floss between them.

ok good. i have to go walmart tonight anyways

... how do i put it in? does it go foam,floss,bio,bio? and does it catch the stuff that gets past the foam? how much do i stuff in there? how often do i replace it? sorry about the dumb questions...

it should go floss, foam bio bio. It is hard to clean out that stuff in sponges. You replace it like once a month. These are not dumb questions! They are very good

last but not least

what is the purpose of the floss? does it filter better then the ac foam?

The activated carbon loses its effectiveness after a month. it isnt better than, it is cheaper than if that makes since.

sorry, meant if i put it before the foam, does it catch stuff better then the foam does, or actually, does it filter out smaller particles then the foam? so you epinion is floss, foam,bio, bio? boy, im just getting started in this hobby, but that AC is sooo easy

no it doesn't matter. i was thinking of a sponge material when I read. It doesn't matter either way. if you put the filter floss first, then you have to clean your filter less. does that make since? Hope this helps!

Make sure it's not flame retardant. If it says flame retardant they add chemicals too it that'll kill it fish!

Make sure it's not flame retardant. If it says flame retardant they add chemicals too it that'll kill it fish!

GOOD CALL! That is a great catch. There should only be natural materials in this product, along with anything you get for your fish or pets.

Back
Top Bottom