Filter? good or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rono11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10g tank 3 yoyo and 1 peppered cory cat ( ow i know his name) i have this filter in it: Grreat Choice® Internal Aquarium Power Filter 10/20G Flow rate 90 GPH.
I had high ammonia issue that want down to 0 for 1 day, and than back to 0.25.
I am just wondering maybe my filter isn't good?

I have a 10g tank 3 yoyo and 1 peppered cory cat ( ow i know his name) i have this filter in it: Grreat Choice® Internal Aquarium Power Filter 10/20G Flow rate 90 GPH.
I had high ammonia issue that want down to 0 for 1 day, and than back to 0.25.
I am just wondering maybe my filter isn't good?

If there's ceramic rings/biomax or any big surface material in it, that's a good filter.

Make sure it's cycled, don't clean the bio medias under tap water, or the filter won't do anything for ammonia/nitrites conversion.

If the yoyos are yoyo loaches, im pretty sure that they will outgrow the tank

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes yoyo loaches are pretty aggressive, get 6" long, and need at least a 30-40g tank. I had 2 babies for a few weeks but returned them because they killed a beta and 3 tetras. I suggest you rehome them ASAP and get your cory a couple friends because they like to be in groups.
For filters, generally 10x the tank volume per hour is what you want. So for a 10g, a 100 gph filter would be ideal. If you weren't so overstocked the 90gph would probably work fine.
Have you cycled your tank? If it's a newly set up tank, it might not be cycled. Here's an article that explains cycling nicely:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

hmm i have 3 2 are in school one which has 1 eye always hiding never see him, and they dont care about my 4th fish

They get very large and are very active fish, I would highly recommend returning them because they are not suited for a tank as small as 10 gallons. There are lots of beautiful fish that you could get instead though :)

I haven't bought them i got them. but not sure with the half eye guy his never out...maybe
can't return bc i haven't receipt

Some pet stores will take them without a receipt. They consider it a donation. You could also give them to anyone you know with a large tank. Or even sell them in the classifieds on this forum.
I'm telling you, if you keep these fish in that tank that is too small for them, their growth will become stunted and they will not live a long or happy life, and you will not be able to have any other fish.
For stocking advice, check out aquadvisor: http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Back
Top Bottom