Filter has problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirtautoguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My filter is a aqueon which works great however when I do my water changes and restart the filter it has problems sucking water up untill the water is filled up almost to the base of the filter. Also when I put a new filter in the water seems to bypass the filter and overflow over the wall separating the filter and where the water comes out unless I pull the filter up jut a little bit. Des anyone know why this happens?

I have the Marineland penguin 200 i have to prime it basically fill the filter with tank water or new water full till it spills out into the tank then turn on and it should suck up the water from the tank and run correctly....also i have to pull my filter cartridge up slightly off the bottom of the filter to let water run somewhat free....hope that helps

Sounds about exactly like mine. I'm wondering if the hose thing that goes down into the water doesn't seal so it can't pick up water, because long as I fill it over that hose thing and prime it a little it works fine.

Most filters require that you fill the reservoir before it'll pump. The motor isn't strong enough to draw the water up the tube on it's own. Once it get's going the vacuum pressure keeps it strong much like the vacuum you use on your gravel. As for the overflow. If the filter isn't the same brand as the pump it may have a bit too much resistance to the water. As my filter gets dirty I notice it starts to fill up more and flow over the top or over the intake tube without actually filtering. It's not that big of a deal unless it's a lot or most of the water. If it's just a little (10% or so) overflowing don't worry about it or back off on the flow so it doesn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom