Filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmul2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I have had my aqueon power filter up and running for about 2 months now. I have not done any maintenance or anything. I just bought a penguin 200 power filter. Is it safe to put on the new filter and be done with it?

Yes it will be fine because their is still benificial bacteria in the water and on the plants and gravel. Good luck!

Brian

Yes it will be fine because their is still benificial bacteria in the water and on the plants and gravel. Good luck!

Brian

Absolutely not!!

Your filter houses the majority of your BB, if you remove that filter and slap on a new one then you'll remove all that BB you have!

You can put the old filter media in the new filter to help start growing BB in the new filer media, but if you just swap them, you'll be basically cycling your tank all over again

Brian

FYI, there is no beneficial bacteria in the water, it's only on surfaces. Also, gravel, plants, and decor only hold small amounts of beneficial bacteria. The best place for beneficial bacteria is in the filter.

Hi! I have had my aqueon power filter up and running for about 2 months now. I have not done any maintenance or anything. I just bought a penguin 200 power filter. Is it safe to put on the new filter and be done with it?

Leave the old filter running, and put the new filter in also. That will insure no cycling process, which is deadly to fish. In about 3-5 weeks you could then remove the old filter and the new one will be seeded with beneficial bacteria.

Absolutely not!!

Your filter houses the majority of your BB, if you remove that filter and slap on a new one then you'll remove all that BB you have!

You can put the old filter media in the new filter to help start growing BB in the new filer media, but if you just swap them, you'll be basically cycling your tank all over again

That's is true, it's best to use your old inserts in your new filter, because changing it 100% will remove all your BB...

4 sunset platys and 3 plants, I've also added bacteria in a bottle a month ago

You don't want to start over you cycle, so it's best to use your old inserts and gradually change them. Because you could end up causing harm to your fishes and water quality.

You can also use both filters if you don't want to use the old inserts in your new filter. And after a few weeks, discard the old one completely.

Back
Top Bottom