Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Filter help

my friend gave me her old fluval chi tank with an established filter that has been running for a year. it turns out she has never rinsed any of the filter media. is it too late to save?

Old 07-05-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

there is already a betta in it and i don't want to have to move him as he's really old and disabled
Old 07-05-2022, 06:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Is it too late to save what?
Old 07-07-2022, 05:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The filter is fine, it’s full of the good bacteria because it hasn’t been rinsed. If you do want to clean the filter, don’t use tap water as it will kill the good bacteria and kill the fish. To clean the filter fill a small bowl with water from the tank and lightly swish the filter around in the water. Do not squeeze the filter media as it will get rid of too much bacteria. Do small, frequent water changes, I’d say about 25% of the water each week. Never change too much more as it could harm the fish. If your using tap water make sure to mix it with tap water conditioner from your local pet store.

Tags
filter, filter help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com