filter help (AquaTech 30-60 Power Filter)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian7

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a AquaTech 30-60 Power Filter. it uses i blue filter cartridge and a bio filter. How do i service this? How often do i have to change the cartridge, do i ever have to change bio-filter? (i believe in directions it says you do not) If not should i clean the bio-filter.

You only need to change the cartridge when it's literally falling apart ... it and the Bio filter are both chuck full of BB. If I remember correctly ... you service it like any other HOB ... rinse the filter media in tank water during PWC's to remove the solid waste.

You don't change anything unless it's coming apart. Every pwc just clean it in old tank water and at least once a month I would take apart the filter and clean everything in old tank water as well.

I have a 20-40 and wasnt happy with the flow rate and volume because of the way the cartrige is made with the plastic backing on them the seem to STAY full and the overflow running wide open..I actually pulled the cartrige and replaced it with a piece of RENA sponge filter..They tell you to leave that media in forever but what good does it do when it "FILTERS" very little of the water and bypasses MOST of what it sucks up.. I also found the AQUEON cartrige is flossy media on both sides and seems to fit in mine quite well...I would keep an eye on it..Poor filter performace from a cartridge with poor flow can lead to other problems..

I also have an Aqueon hanging on the other side and a wet sump full of floss and Fluval Bio media in it as well so I ripped out the BIO filter to put my sponge into its easy to get out clean and put back in..you could also put some bio media in the back of that fiter and put the sponge in the bio frame or some sheets of floss
there are many options for ANY filter just make sure it flows well enough to do its job too..

Attachments

• 2011-08-13_13-30-50_229.jpg
    2011-08-13_13-30-50_229.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 647
  • 2011-08-13_13-31-07_343.jpg
    2011-08-13_13-31-07_343.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 449
Back
Top Bottom