filter hole help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello hello. :D
My filter sucked up one of my neons! 8O :cry:
What's the BEST way to fix this problem. :?:
now I've read your other suggstions, but wonder how much they would affect the efficiency of the filter. Would putting stuff over my filter intake pipe thingy decrease the amount of debris my filter can...filter? thus making my tank diry...thus high toxic levels...thus death! :twisted: :eek:
thanks.
Ry.

fastfly48 said:
now I've read your other suggstions, but wonder how much they would affect the efficiency of the filter. Would putting stuff over my filter intake pipe thingy decrease the amount of debris my filter can...filter? thus making my tank diry...thus high toxic levels...thus death! :twisted: :eek:
thanks.
Ry.

covering your filter may affect suction power and collection of 'large' debris
this is the trade-off
but would you rather have dead fish??

you can cover your filter intake with a sponge (aquaclear sponge works great)
sponges work great - they may not filter large particles, but small particles can still be filtered.

Bubble_B0y said:
fastfly48 said:
thanks.
Ry.

covering your filter may affect suction power and collection of 'large' debris
this is the trade-off
but would you rather have dead fish??

you can cover your filter intake with a sponge (aquaclear sponge works great)
sponges work great - they may not filter large particles, but small particles can still be filtered.
or use a cutting from a pair of pantyhose (tights over here in the UK!) secured to the inlet will solve the problem.

Will not reduce intake volume in anyway and will prevent your fish from being sucked up.

It will also prevent large debris such as leaves being sucked up into your filter, which is a good thing. Means the water being pumped back in from the outlet will be much cleaner and purer.

Al you have to is, every couple of weeks, cut another section from the pantyhose and replace.

Job done :D

steve

I'm a huge fan of sponge prefilters. Buy one that's designed to be used as a prefilter. I'm not an advocate of using pantyhose or nylon. I've found that it reduces the intake and can burn out the filter. JMO.

BrianNY said:
I'm a huge fan of sponge prefilters. Buy one that's designed to be used as a prefilter.

its funny because my HOB aquaclear power filter, turned into a sponge filter !!
LOL

Back
Top Bottom