Filter media???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have a aqueon filters, with the activated carbon..... How often should I change filters? Also are biweekly - once a month water changes ok? That's what I've done since I've had the tank.... I've just been seeing a lot of people on here saying that they change theirs a lot more frequently.... When I take my water to checked its always in parameters.

Changing filter media only needs to be done when the old filter is literally falling apart. Even then the best way to do it is to leave the old filter pad in the filter along with the new one in order to allow the bacteria to spread.

As for water changes, its generally accepted that a weekly water change of 25-50% is good tank upkeep. Personally, I don't even bother with trying a less than 50% change. Doing weekly 50% changes gets even more important when you have live plants.

What are your nitrates usually at when you get them tested?

Changing filter media only needs to be done when the old filter is literally falling apart. Even then the best way to do it is to leave the old filter pad in the filter along with the new one in order to allow the bacteria to spread.

As for water changes, its generally accepted that a weekly water change of 25-50% is good tank upkeep. Personally, I don't even bother with trying a less than 50% change. Doing weekly 50% changes gets even more important when you have live plants.

What are your nitrates usually at when you get them tested?

I haven't had them tested since I planted.. I will get them tested tomorrow, I only have pH strips- I need to invest in a test kit, but I've been investing as I can afford...

What do the plants do to make the water bad??? Just curious.

I haven't had them tested since I planted.. I will get them tested tomorrow, I only have pH strips- I need to invest in a test kit, but I've been investing as I can afford...

What do the plants do to make the water bad??? Just curious.

It's not the plants themselves. Most tanks with at least a medium light level will require fertilizers to stave off algae. When you are fertilizing a tank the 50% water changes weekly are there to prevent a potential problem causing build up of nutrients in the water.

It's not the plants themselves. Most tanks with at least a medium light level will require fertilizers to stave off algae. When you are fertilizing a tank the 50% water changes weekly are there to prevent a potential problem causing build up of nutrients in the water.

I haven't used any ferts, unless the dirt counts??? That was going to be one of my upcoming threads, asking about when you need ferts and co2.....

Back
Top Bottom