Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jferrante

Aquarium Advice Activist
alright I'll try not to start as big of a debate as the bottled bacteria haha
but anyways I currently use biomax that came with my filter long ago plus two small packs of it that I just added to it to colonize for my new quarantine/hospital tank.

But I realize it's worth looking into and trying to find and purchase the best media you can possibly get because this is where the true strength is in the cycle.

I found these two videos pretty easily

and this guy seems to know what he's talking about.

I believe Seachem's Matrix might also be very good even if it is "just" pumice since pumice is the most porous rock on earth. I wonder how Biohome's stuff compares given that it's ceramic but still well thought out.

Also where can you buy Biohome products online that ship to the US?
and while were at it...
Is there any other good and reliable sites to buy aquarium products for a fair price that you may like to use?

I use Fluval BioMax and it works just fine. I really don't understand the need to have the most surface area and the most biological media since at the end of the day you'll only be able to produce as much bacteria as your tank needs.

If you were going to buy Matrix you might as well just buy pumice stones and save the money since they are the same thing.

And I haven't looked it up on there, but Amazon is my go-to to buy anything. Especially with Amazon Student, free 2-day delivery. Can't beat it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Here we go again ;)

You say the "true strength" of a cycle lies in the filter media. Would you care to explain?

I used to be all about trying to get as much media in a filtration system until I learned one simple thing. More media does not equal more bacteria.

That 55g tank running a single filter cartridge will have the exact same amount of BB in it as it would if a fluidized sand filter was running in the tank. Are you going to see any measurable difference at all by using a fluidized sand filter over a small HOB filter? Nope. You will never ever notice a difference in regards to the ammonia or nitrite processing power of that tank.

Here we go again ;)

You say the "true strength" of a cycle lies in the filter media. Would you care to explain?

I used to be all about trying to get as much media in a filtration system until I learned one simple thing. More media does not equal more bacteria.

That 55g tank running a single filter cartridge will have the exact same amount of BB in it as it would if a fluidized sand filter was running in the tank. Are you going to see any measurable difference at all by using a fluidized sand filter over a small HOB filter? Nope. You will never ever notice a difference in regards to the ammonia or nitrite processing power of that tank.

True strength as in ability to filter water with the smallest amount of media. Thus more of it means lots and lots and lots room for bacteria. I mean they still need that source of food of course so it wouldn't be loaded up like you'd expect. But it does mean you can have more fish or a smaller filter or have to do water changes less frequently. Some of the Biohome products also have elements heated into the media to feed this bacteria as well. Just watch the videos he'll explain it.

True strength as in ability to filter water with the smallest amount of media. Thus more of it means lots and lots and lots room for bacteria. I mean they still need that source of food of course so it wouldn't be loaded up like you'd expect. But it does mean you can have more fish or a smaller filter or have to do water changes less frequently. Some of the Biohome products also have elements heated into the media to feed this bacteria as well. Just watch the videos he'll explain it.

Why would you want the smallest filter though? If you're aiming for your total water volume to go through the filter 5-7 times an hour, most likely the filters you'll be looking at will be close to the same size or you'll need to use a lot of little ones.

I guess I don't understand the importance or necessity to your question.

Also, water changes aren't only to remove nitrates. They help replenish the water of lost nutrients, oxygenate, restore pH, etc.

You just need to make sure that what ever you use, you have at least enough to colonize a good amount of bacteria so there is never any free standing ammonia or nitrites in the water and it gets processed immediately. You can use anything you want really, plastic clothes pins or plastic kids toys, bio media, rocks, the bacteria will colonize on anything. Bio media of course with the increased surface area is more space friendly. A small handful of bio max would have the same surface area as say 3-4 handfuls of plastic clothes pins.

By the way filtration has no effect on the amount of water changes needed or stocking level. Doesn't matter if you have a handful of bio media or a truck load. You tank will produce X number nitrate ppm and this is the what you should be going by to indicate water changes. As said a lot more happens with a water change besides nitrates getting reduced as well.

I don't want a smaller filter i'll use the ones I have. I'm just curious about upgrading to better filter media in it eventually it's cheap anyways only around $14 for 500g of that "Biohome Ultimate" which would be more than enough for me.
I know you have to do water changes regardless but with good media you can go longer without it since it can process nitrates better. I also have plants in my tank which will consume the nitrates and since I dose fertilizers and have fertile soil there is some of the nutrients. Eventually it will climb but when your filter gets older all that bio film starts to slow it down which is why you have to rinse it little by little to open up more surface area so you don't choke out the bacteria. It's also why fluidized filter are probably a little better since they slow down the film a bit.

But really good filter media has nutrients in it that slowly leech out and provide food for beneficial bacteria and water conditions for plants and fish an what not too.

But at the same time if you have plants, lights and good soil in a tank you technically don't even need a filter once the bacteria is establish. it's more of a back up really.
Walstad method - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
never even heard of that till like an hour ago but I had suspicions that it could be done that way. But I've heard it's really effective when done right.

so idk I just like seeing all the options and seeing what works and why. I don't like vagueness because I like knowing the truth. For the sake of increasing efficiency and avoiding casualties and also advising others with good information.

I have a mental image of an abandoned building and a someone walks into a room and sees a tank loaded up with plants that are growing all over the place and there still being an entire community of fish in it. though that is just my imagination of a rare sight to see.

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to fun a filter in a hospital tank. 99% of the meds introduced into such tank destroy any bacteria. The one purpose to have a filter in said tank is water movement and that could be done simply with an airstone.
Edit : run** not fun

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I don't want to bash what I haven't tried, but I've read that bio-home media is more likely to crumble than seachem matrix or eheim substrat/substrat pro.

For hospital/qt tanks just use a seeded sponge filter and toss it after medication.

I have a hob filter for the hospital tank and feel you can use filtered media in when simply quarantining the fish. Since they aren't going to be happy in an uncycled qt tank if they have to stay for two weeks in it. You can always take out the mini media bag to re-add to main tank if dosing medicatio or clean it real good and start over with it.
I don't want to chuck whole filters after use that seems like a waste to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a hob filter for the hospital tank and feel you can use filtered media in when simply quarantining the fish. Since they aren't going to be happy in an uncycled qt tank if they have to stay for two weeks in it. You can always take out the mini media bag to re-add to main tank if dosing medicatio or clean it real good and start over with it.
I don't want to chuck whole filters after use that seems like a waste to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm with you there. I have so many extra hang on back filters. I have a sponge filter running in my main tank just in case the qt needs set up. Extra biomedia in both my main canisters that I can bag up and throw in a hang on back. And, since I already have hang on backs I'd rather use them for my hospital tank than go purchase another air pump. Plus, if I need to use medication I try to aim for ones that won't disrupt the beneficial bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom