Filter media bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long can it survive in a sealed plastic bag?

My brother is in the process of building a tank, but it won't be done for about two more weeks. He will be using the same filter I have. So we've planned that I will give him my old filter media to help cycle his tank.

Here's the current problem. I desperately need to change my filter media. I have prolonged it too far at this point, and it's beginning to affect my filtration.

If I put it in a sealed plastic bag, would it survive the two weeks until he is ready for it??

Or should I wrap it in some nylon (women's nylons) and float it in the aquarium? Would that work?

Two weeks is a long time. What I see here is another problem, you say you are changing your media, all of it? If so, you will be getting rid of all the bacteria in your filter.
In any case, all your brother needs whenever he's ready is a portion of your filter media mixed into his to start, providing your filter is cycled.

The panty hose thing will work better than placing it in a ziplock bag. If it drys out it'll die, sunlight will kill it too iirc.
Do you have just one filter or more?

Back
Top Bottom