Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
Yao
Aquarium Advice Regular

Filter Media Change

So.. I've had my tank for a few months now. The filter media is getting extremely gross and gunked up. I have a Penguin 100 HOB filter, with biowheel. Is it okay for me to change the filter? When I first started my tank, I was told I never needed/should change my filter. What's the next step for me here? Do I buy a penguin refill designed for my filter, or just any random media, and cut it to fit? Thanks! 8)

Old 12-27-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I would get a refill, and run it concurrently for a day or two before tossing the used media.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I'm not mistaken, the Penguin 100 is a redesign of the Penguin Mini, of which I own three.

Every two or three weeks, I pull out the Penguin cartridge and rinse it off in tank water, or even under the tap. Most of the biofilter bacteria live on the pleated biowheel, so this has worked OK for me. I get about four months of use out of each cartridge before it starts to fall apart, and I have to replace it. Again, since most of the good bacteria are on the biowheel, I've never noticed an ammonia spike after replacing a cartridge.
I NEVER touch the biowheel itself - sometimes I wipe some mineral crud off the axle to ensure that it remains free-spinning.

Tags
change, filter, filter media, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com