Filter media for freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZdogpatch06

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright so all the different types of available filter media out there can confuse me sometimes, and I consider myself an intermediate aquarist! Anyways, I've started using seachem Seagel over in my saltwater hob filter, which has activated carbon, phos-guard, and removes organic waste. Because it removed organic waste, I've taken the seachem purigen and moved it over to the freshwater hob filter. My question is, what will the purigen so that my filter floss / activated carbon filter cartridges can't already do? Thanks guys and gals :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It will remove ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. It will remove compounds that contribute to haziness in the water (will polish the water).

It'll do everything that you already are doing amplified. It's definitely a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

But activated carbon / filter floss cartridges can't accomplish the same thing?

Purigen is more selective and not as aggressive as activated carbon, therefore it does not remove trace elements the way activated carbon can. It also will not release absorbed contaminates back into the water like carbon can if left too long. Purigen lasts longer per use and can be refreshed simply by soaking in mild bleach/water solution up to I think 6 times, so it's definitely more economical.
Purigen and Chemi-Pure together for the win.
Change Chemi-Pure every 3 months, recharge Purigen every six or so.

You still need to use the filter floss or something similar to remove particulate matter.

Thank you! That answers every question I had! :)

Back
Top Bottom