Filter Media Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

What is better for my 304:

1) Three trays of Bio-Max Rings

or

2) One tray of prefilter media and then two trays of Bio-Max rings?

Why is that? I was under the impression that the Bio-Max rings were better breeding ground for colonies of bacteria, which is what I am going for.

They are almost like dime-sized rough cheerios made of a more porus material than ceramic, like cement almost, but softer.

Hey Tony.

The bio max rings and the ceramic rings serve the same purpose. They are both designed for the colonization of bacteria.

I have the 404 (only means 4 baskets instead of three) and I have both the rings and the ceramic rings in there.

I think some foam might be good in the first tray (where the water passes first) to filter out large debris and help with water clarity.

Mazdaman said:
I think some foam might be good in the first tray (where the water passes first) to filter out large debris and help with water clarity.

It already goes through a four foam tray before it enters the chambers, otherwise I totally would.

filter floss in the first basket and then 2 of ceramic rings.

Personally, my eheim goes from ceramic rings to a coarse filter pad to an ammonia stone to 2 fine filter floss pads and finally out. It works wonders!

I would do cermaic rings --> filter floss --> biomax. Biomax has far more surface area. One tray of it will have more than enough surface area. The floss is helpful to keep crud out, and it will quickly colonise with bacteia anyway due to the sponges and ceramic rings in front of it. Just don't pack it in too tight to slow the water flow.

Back
Top Bottom