Filter newer tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

empirekevin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 8 gal fresh that is 2 weeks in. Evolve8. I took se media fr main tank and socked it above the circulation pump. I am wondering if it is better to change the mechanical carbon filter now (drop in aqueon) since it is early cycle or let it get real dirty. What would be better to keep the cycle peaks from being as high?

Bump. Better for cycle with drop in filter change more or less often?

I just have a male and female Platy so not a lot of stock. Just don't know if that hard waste will help or create too high ammonia.

your best bet is to get a quality test kit, and monitor your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) there are a lot of good articles on here regarding fish in cycling.
This is a great one:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Your cycle should definitely be shorter since you seeded with filter media, but you will still experience ammonia and nitrite spikes as the beneficial bacteria develop.

just re-read your original post, and realized I didn't answer your question. I would leave the cartridge in, don't change it, as that is where most of your bb will grow. Swish it in your old tank water, not the tap, to clear off any junk that's building up. I made the mistake early on of rinsing the cartridge in the tap, and the bleach killed all my BB.
Platies are pretty high bioload for their size (poop machines), so I would keep the substrate vacuumed well. The other ammonia produced will be enough to kickstart your cycle, without relying on mountains of poop to build it.

Thanks, Yes I have read that. I have a Can on my main tank so I am used to leaving the filter alone till it falls apart. This drop in, suggested change every 2 weeks doesn't make sense to me. That's why I socked some media. Just looking for the healthiest way to get through the cycle. Obviously water changes a lot, but I was just curious if the mass on the filter would help or hurt the spikes.

Ahh, just read your second post. Super, that was my thought too. Great.

Back
Top Bottom