Filter, or no filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am wondering this, if on Wednesday and Saturday or Sunday, or just every Sunday, I take out 5 gallons in my 29 gallon, do I need a filter and I have an airstone that is 18 inches long?

It's because, my filter in my desk only fits in the front of the tank, and it takes away a lot of sight for the tank, I can't put it on the side, and it will run into the ceiling of my desk on the back, and where I have it it takes away a lot of sight

Ok..well the filter is the heart of your tank..it depends how long it would be off for and how many gallons the tank is. If it's probably less than a 20 gallon (which if it's on a desk I would say it is) then I would not recommend it.

It's a 29 gallon, and I would like to have it permanently off, bi-weekly water changes of 5 gallons and an airstone wouldn't work?

It's a 29 gallon, and I would like to have it permanently off, bi-weekly water changes of 5 gallons and an airstone wouldn't work?

No..airstones don't really do anything..you don't need one if you have an HOB filter. And the beneficial bacteria is in your filter media..all you would have is your substrate. And lastly, you would have a very dirty tank and the toxins wouldn't be remove without it. (Depending on the filter)

You should be doing at least 5 gallon changes that often anyway even with a filter. I would recommend 10 gallons once a week.

The bacteria wouldnt stay on plants or decor, I mean, should I just have to see that big old filter in the front, or would I get away with it?

You should be doing at least 5 gallon changes that often anyway even with a filter. I would recommend 10 gallons once a week.

Really, I change 5 gallons weekly, so I should just do ten on the week-end?

You really need your filter, it removes visible waste as well as micre. You could do it, but your fish wouldn`t be very happy

Really, I change 5 gallons weekly, so I should just do ten on the week-end?

I try to around 50% changes once a week on all my tanks..including a 29. And the is no way it can fit? You could get a different filter too (canister, etc).. or could always move where it is too. The most important thing in your tank is your filter..should keep it going for sure.

Without filter
img_2499077_0_dc98c085098bfa9c10c983baba032b73.jpg

With filter
img_2499077_1_cc6b8616879881cf3034e0d834ec3600.jpg

U need an under gravel filter. I don't know how we'll those work but at least it would block you view

If you have limited stocking, an airstone and performed 50-70% water changes per week you'd get away with no filtration.

Back
Top Bottom