Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alec18

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my filter has this green slimy build up and around it looks like mold. Is this a problem?

Attachments

• image-3497919681.jpg
    image-3497919681.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 76
  • image-763638903.jpg
    image-763638903.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 69
How often do to do water changes, filter changes? Do you have an algae problem?

How often do to do water changes, filter changes? Do you have an algae problem?

Filter change? Like the cartridge? And I do my water changes once a week but I forgot to last week. And no I don't

looks brown to me, which would just be Mulm build up (broken down organic stuff) which is normal in a filter that has been running for awhile and is of no harm to anything or really a concern imo

looks brown to me, which would just be Mulm build up (broken down organic stuff) which is normal in a filter that has been running for awhile and is of no harm to anything or really a concern imo

I saw this stuff at petsmart that says it had bacteria that would eat the sludge. Would that help at all?

I saw this stuff at petsmart that says it had bacteria that would eat the sludge. Would that help at all?

Is there any reason you can't clean it without chemicals?

It's normal for filters to develop that. Just wipe it off when you're doing your usual aquarium maintenance.

So my filter has this green slimy build up and around it looks like mold. Is this a problem?

Mine gets that and I just rinse it out with very hot water. Don't wince the media in the hot water though. Just the filter obtained its self. I do it about once every two weeks or so.

Mine gets that and I just rinse it out with very hot water. Don't wince the media in the hot water though. Just the filter obtained its self. I do it about once every two weeks or so.

I should really start spellchecking before I hit send. This iPhone always corrects me with the wrong words.

I have the same stuff. I never wipe it off. My fish like to nibble on it lol

It's hilarious watching them swimming against the outflow.

yes the mulm is natural and a sign your BB is doing its drop in breaking down organic material. I would not recommed trying to use chemicals or other Bacteria to try to get rid of it, a quick wipe with some paper towels or hot water will get rid of it though it is not needed, unless you just dont like the look of it.

depending on your filter you will notice your sponge or filter media start to turn brown. this is also mulm and once the media is brown it will always be brown and is pretty much impossible to remove completely, just fyi :)

Back
Top Bottom